Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It has hit the fan.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'll second dropbox. It's an excellent service and has saved my hide a couple of times. It's the biggest and best of the services out there as far as I know. Apple apparently tried to buy it, but the guy running it said to Steve Jobs that he always dreamed of owning his own business so he wasn't going to sell. Steve walked away without a purchase. It also underpins lots of iPad/iPhone apps for their filesharing/storage functionality. I'd expect that means they won't have any dodgy licensing/privacy bt I haven't read the EULA carefully so I can't say.

Yeah dropbox is great, on a side-note, box.net now gives away 50GB (!) if you sign up with an android device before March 23rd.... I prefer dropbox but hey 50gb is 50gb... cheers, DJ

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Damn that sucks! I'm sorry to read that. The most important thing though, is to not give up which it seems you haven't! It's hard though, to see the work you have done get torn down. Days, weeks, months of work, gone in seconds or minutes because of someone else's bad mood. Best thing to do though is to not loose heart. To keep pressing on, and strive to do better! I shall be keeping an eye out for your material in the future, and hope to see many great works from you!

Yeah it's not something crazy you need to be really worried about, I mean they don't actively take your work from you in any sense.. i think it's kind of a security thing, so that if they need to they can go through you files or something.. but it seems to be kinda common in the concept of free online storage... Another option (tho a bit of work..) is using some of the free versioning sites hosting such things as SVN (Subversion) or GIT.. SVN requires you to manually sync things, but the beauty of it is that it not only holds your current files, but all versions previous as well.. It's mostly used for coding, but I could see the uses of it when it comes to just holding some important files, or even a map you modify frequently.

There is free software to run it on all OS's, for windows the best I've found is called TortiseSVN, it's easy to use and adds the options to your file exploring right-click menus...
    The SVN has to be hosted, and there are a numerous free online hosts... basically, if you are willing to make them opensourced, you can get unlimited space.. from private stuff, space is a lot smaller.. best i've seemed to find is Assembla, which gives you 2gb free...

Again, if your just looking for online storage, Dropbox would be great... but versioning can be gold when used correctly.. so i thought i'd mention it.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post

Again, if your just looking for online storage, Dropbox would be great... but versioning can be gold when used correctly.. so i thought i'd mention it.
    Dropbox does versioning in addition to file hosting, and syncing automatically.. plus it works on Linux/Mac/Windows and a "client" can be used on Android/IOS(though these are not automatic syncing due to storage space issues)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

ah, well then there ya go! I've used dropbox from an android and it works pretty well, again I have my own unlimited webspace so I don't bother with it otherwise really.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12