Quote Originally Posted by Meandroz View Post
Auto generated ?.
Oh sorry, it means that with some simple inputs I can create the images of those islands. I.e. I dont have to paint in the trees and do all the shore and stuff. I put in a height map which I can draw fairly easily. I can optionally modify that a bit with some erosion and other terrain processing. Then I have written some stuff which will take the outputs from that process and texture it all up. It puts in the sea, the sand, the waves, everything you see on those images. So its a simple process that I can repeat with very little effort. The only downside is that you have to like it the way it is because to change it from that style means reprogramming the style or the texture engine.

I can get height maps off of various places around the real world using heights sampled by NASA and other free satellite data. So you could take bits of japan, indonesia, new zealand etc and then use them as templates for texturing them like the images. I can also generate loads of islands and island height maps with my free app which is called Instant Island - which I guess now thinking about it I should have posted that link too !

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...nstant_islands

Try this out and if that fits your style you can go mad and create as many as you want for free. It will generate as many as you can keep pushing the button. If you wanted any of them textured like the image in the post then I would have to do that bit. You need to note down the island number and all of the settings for it if you have changed them from the defaults in the app. Copyright for the islands out of the app is kinda murky since anyone could get the same island with the same settings but there is no limit to the island number so pick a random one in the millions or alter some of the settings. Then export the image at a high res and cut out the island you like.