Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Very Basic First Project (WIP)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Your map looks very natural now, only some desserts of the eastern continent seems to be slightly in the NW Rainy area of their mountains. (I mean the top north dessert south of the Spines end and same on the top of the western continent)
    I also like the most western mountains directly at the sea. It could be a stormcatcher, means an dangerous area with lots of storms clashing at the cliffs and mountains there. So only from defining the rain dirction you get a lot of interesting areas and climatzones.

I realy like how the mountains form climateareas and extremezones, e.g. you get a very stormy coast at the westend of teh western continent where stormfronts clashes with the mountain barrier. Also the dessert is a very nice idea.

EDIT: Somehow my posts got mixed up, and double posted.

I drew rough outlines of where I expect rivers to be. If anyone points out any violations or gives suggestions I'd love it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainRanges.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	42062

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spudspotato View Post
    I drew rough outlines of where I expect rivers to be. If anyone points out any violations or gives suggestions I'd love it.

Views:	75 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	42062
    Your forking is largely backwards with lots of distributaries and no tributaries. You also have two river systems that don't seem to go anywhere. There are a few rivers on earth that really don't reach a basin of any sort but just evaporate away into an "inland delta". This requires fairly unusual conditions, much more so than for an endorheic lake (one with no outlets).

Finally you have a very improbable looking water gap (River running through a gap in a ridge) in the east of the western continent. A water gap either means that there just is no possible way for the water to get out except through the mountains, or the mountains raised up after the river was already established. Remember that rivers flow downhill.

I've tried to fix the river issues I saw, but I plan on going over it again before I start to actually draw the rivers. For some reason I completely forgot about the existence of tributaries (All I learned about watersheds in the 5th grade is coming back!) so I've tried to correct the forking.
    Here's the current draft:

Views:	80 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	42072

there are only two now in the north east of the western part.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12