Thread: Battlemap Commission - Traditional Fantasy Setting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rigg,

Thank you for your interest in this project. I browsed some of the other threads in this section and noticed a common theme – what style do you like?

I am not sure if I provided enough detail above to really answer that question.

Regarding the Setting 1 - Frontier Castle and Settlement, I have attached an image that does not speak to the setting that I am requesting; it does however show a feature that I do like and that is contour lines/elevation lines. I think a final map that incorporates something like what is in the image is on par for what I am looking for. Of course the map I am requesting will have completely different features.

Now, regarding your style for Setting 1, after perusing your web page a few images really stood out to me. In your cartography section those would be – Image 4 and Image 13 and Image 14.

Would you be willing to work up a rough sketch of the basic layout of Keep and Settlement?

Regarding Setting 2 – That is much more difficult to answer. To me, style is a much more difficult thing to pinpoint for this part of the project because I believe the map I am requesting to be very unique. One thing that struck me about the description and artist rendering is the dominating size of the Tower of Amon Sul itself as compared to the rest of the structures. It looms. I think this part of the project is more about sightlines, well placed shadows, depth perception, light source, orientation, etc… to capture the essence of the Tower without it looking so out of proportion as to seem farcical as compared to the rest of the Fortifications. I really do not know how this can be done nor do I have the talent to attempt. What I do know after going through work posted at your web page that you do seem to have the talent to take on such a project.

I think a sketch is unnecessary for Setting 2 as it is pretty well laid out in the images and descriptions I attached. So, is it possible to for you to create a very small element of the Fortress based on said description? Or if not that, provide some feedback on your ideas of how you would approach what to me is a very difficult mapping challenge?

Best Regards,

Raic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant Isle.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	395.7 KB 
ID:	41895