Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Meeting....

Great story line and a wonderful series of maps.
    As always thank you so much for the credited links.
    Have you dressed your dungeon lately?
    GREYTALE.COM

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Menna's Basement

Calan Stonebridge huddled against the cold damp rock wall of the sewer for a very long time. The image of the glowing red skull seemed burned into his mind. What had he been thinking? chasing off after these unknown men and their unknown purpose. There had been no "great treasure" only the sickening sewers and the terrifying apparition. After what seemed like hours, Calan mustered the courage to climb up the ladder he had seen the men use earlier. At the very least he thought to himself he would out of the sewers and away from the stink and the burning eyes of the evil thing in the pool. Clinging to each rung Calan climbed up and out of sewers. He found himself in another room this one with a dirt floor and walls made from rough timber. He found that he was exhausted and very hungry. He huddled in a dark corner of the room and nibbled on his hunk of cheese. Although he fought it mightily his body ached for sleep and eventually he succumbed to the inviting darkness.....

The next encounter map of this series. Our young hero doesn't realize it yet but he is about to stumble across some information that will alter his life forever. This map will depict "Menna's Basement" (if you remember Menna is the fat old blustery kitchen head at the Stabbed Soldier tavern and a constant thorn in Young Calan's side...) At this stage I have drawn the layout of the basement, added a dirt floor and started the sewer entrance. As with all of these there is no pre-determined plan I come up with the details as I go and the story comes to me. I am planning on showing at least one other level of Menna's house in another installment. As always feedback is requested and appreciated
    And thank you very much Greytale I love your objects !!

Ladder By Neyjour Deviantart
    Rock Floor Texture By Greytale Greytales Nook

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mennas House Basement.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	46544
    Last edited by jtougas; 07-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Really cool idea...not sure what details of the story you have peculating - but if they are entering from the sewer into a basement, is it safe to assume that that access point should be discrete? If so, might be cool to have a trap door, false wall, or have that part of the basement separate from the rest of the layout (so that those in the basement are less likely to notice that there is likely a hidden room there - made a quick model of what i mean.)

Name:	temp 2.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	624.3 KB 
ID:	46552

Just a thought. Look forward to seeing how this develops

Blog Entries

Wip

Calan Stonebridge awoke with a start He felt like he had only slept for minutes but had no idea how long he had actually been asleep. He stood stiffly and realized he was still in the room that he had entered upon exiting the sewer. There was no sign of the men he had followed since the Stabbed Soldier and he could hear no noise. He cautiously moved to the door of the room and found it barred from the inside. He found that curious but could not afford to spend any time thinking about it. He had to regain the trail of the men. He moved the bolt from the door and moved out into what seemed like a narrow hallway. Across the hall were two other doors these were barred from the outside. Curiosity got the best of him and he slipped the bolt and opened the door. What he saw made him wish he had not. This room was obviously used to hold people against their will. two small cots what seemed to be shackles and a pile of filthy hay were the only furnishings. There were no occupants in the room but Calan nearly vomited at the sight of what looked like fresh blood stains. Suddenly his great adventure didn't seem so fun anymore.....

Today's update: more work on the details of the basement. I've added a "cell" and am trying to make this as "scary" as possible (remember this is seen through the eyes of a 13 year old...) Young Calan has surely got in over his head.....

anomiecoalition
    Really cool idea...not sure what details of the story you have peculating - but if they are entering from the sewer into a basement, is it safe to assume that that access point should be discrete? If so, might be cool to have a trap door, false wall, or have that part of the basement separate from the rest of the layout (so that those in the basement are less likely to notice that there is likely a hidden room there - made a quick model of what i mean.)
    Thanks for the suggestion and it might be a good idea....

*EDIT* Whoops...there I go with my complete disregard of scale again...The sewer entrance looks like it could be used by giants either that or the cell cots are for dwarven children..... I'll fix that

Object Credits

Doors-Greytale Greytales Nook
    Cots (modified from shelves) Greytale Greytales Nook
    Stone Floor Texture (modified by me) Greytale Greytales Nook

Views:	131 
Size:	451.3 KB 
ID:	46605
    Last edited by jtougas; 07-15-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Calan Stonebridge was terrified. He couldn't remember why he had rushed off on this adventure and all of a sudden it didn't feel like the kind of adventure he had read about in his books. This was a real place with real danger and it was very very scary. He moved as quietly as he could up the dark hall until he could see a glint of light coming from an open door. He stood in the open doorway and nearly fainted. Inside the large room were two braziers both glowing red with fire. He was surprised to find there was no smoke nor smell. Entering the room he saw a large heavily pitted marble altar. The altar was surrounded in a sickly green glow and the same red glowing skull that he had seen in the sewers floated above it. He retched and dropped to his knees as he saw more fresh blood stains on this evil thing. He gathered up what tiny amount of courage he still possessed and ran from the room curling himself into a ball behind a set of stairs. He could not shake the image of the skull burning into his brain.....

Oh Calan what have you gotten yourself into.....

Today's update:
    I added the altar and the details I also added my "gloom" layer so that I could work on the shadowing and lighting effects. I realize that I am using quite a few " pre-made" objects but for me the whole idea of this is to tell a story and because my skill level of making these types of things is basically zero it just makes sense for me to take advantage of the great stuff made by talented artists that is out there. I have modified most of these objects to suit my needs and I gladly credit the original creators.

Object Credits:
    Shackles-Greytale Greytales Nook
    Cell Floor (modified by me)-Greytale Greytales Nook
    Doors (modified by me)-Greytale Greytales Nook
    Altar(modified by me)- ProBono Dundjinni
    Braziers- Greytale Greytales Nook
    Stairs- Greytale Greytales Nook
    Skulls- Greytale Dundjinni

Views:	179 
Size:	545.4 KB 
ID:	46690

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Calan Stonebridge forced himself to stand and leave the relative safety of the stairs. He had seen a glint of light coming from a doorway across the hall from him and for some reason he couldn't begin to understand he HAD to see what was in that room. He moved quietly across the hall and opened the door. Peeking inside he could see that it was dimly lit and smelled of dust. Moving a few steps inside he could make out the shapes of boxes and sacks. He took a few more steps and ended up on the ground with a grunt and a sharp intake of air. He wasn't certain what he had tripped over until he turned over. What he saw sent him running full speed to the top of the stairs where he hugged himself tightly to stop from shaking. His eyes hurt from him closing them so hard and he could not erase the image that seemed burned into them. He had found the occupant of the cell room. He lay dead on the storage room floor blood still leaking slowly from the horrible wound in his neck....

The story was rattling around in my head so I HAD to finish it. I think this is done. I added a few more details including a dead body (every adventure has to have a dead body or two...) I also finished the lighting and shadowing. I realize that this is mostly a collection of premade objects and some lighting and shadowing effects, but I really like how it turned out. I was looking for a certain feel and I think I achevied it. As always I'd love to hear what you think Stay tuned as young Calan rushes headlong into adventure.....

Object Credits:
    Containers-Greytale Greytales Nook
    Bodies-Alynnalizza Dundjinni
    Webs-Surfbored Dundjinni

Original Version W/ Full Lighting Effects

Views:	155 
Size:	660.4 KB 
ID:	46695

Version W/No "Dark" Layer"

Name:	Mennas House Basement no dark.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	696.6 KB 
ID:	46696

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

You may have noticed my new signature. A year (or so) ago I was having an "artistic" crisis about being able to create my own mapping objects. I had entered a challenge and just "stamping" away didn't seem like the way to go. I've said this before and I'm going to say it again. YES these maps are mostly made with other artists objects. I've gotten over my "crisis" about them. I have always mapped what I "feel" the story is the most important thing to me. I always attempt to evoke a feeling and a sense of story in my maps. While I do still want to learn how to make these objects it isn't SUCH a priority for me that it will stop me from making maps of this type. There are truly talented artists out there making these wonderful objects for our use and it would be silly for me to create horrible ones just to satisfy my need to have done it all. I don't sell these maps nor do I print them out and use them for anything. As with most of my work it is simply an exercise in creativity and story-telling. (of course if anyone wishes to use them for their own personal use in VTT's or tabletop gaming that is fine with me) I want to thank ALL the artists that have created all the objects that I have used (and will use) in this series. You have helped me bring the story of Calan Stonebridge to life and I will continue to credit and link to your wonderful objects.

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    While I do still want to learn how to make these objects it isn't SUCH a priority for me that it will stop me from making maps of this type. There are truly talented artists out there making these wonderful objects for our use and it would be silly for me to create horrible ones just to satisfy my need to have done it all.
    Couldn't agree more. I've never been much of a visual artist (music was always my thing) - but I love that these programs and the objects people have created for them allow me to finally do something visually that I can be somewhat proud of. I also find that in the process of making maps new story ideas emerge and others are discarded because they no longer make sense - which I believe the players I DM for are quite happy about. I think there is a clear visible difference between just "artfully stamping" objects into a map and using them to add character and detail to the story you are trying to convey (and if you're not trying to tell a story with the map then I don't know why you would put the time and effort into doing it in the first place).

Having said that - I would like to try my hand at making objects - so if anyone knows of a good tutorial out there, i'm all ears.

Look forward to your next installment in the adventures of Mr. Stonebridge.

Hey! Welcome back!

Blog Entries

Wip Blackfire Court...

Calan Stonebridge ran up the stairs and out of the horrifying basement as fast as his legs would carry him. He found a door pulled it open and ran outside. He could hear the sound of footsteps and yelling behind him he ducked behind some crates and tried to sit very still. "What do you mean you didn't leave the bolt off?!" Calan heard the rough male voice ask someone. "I mean I didn't leave it off I'm not fogged ye know" Came the answer. "Well don't be givin' yeself credit for things now Yaro you be plenty fogged" There was a sound of a slap and a yelp and the two men went back inside. Calan stood and took stock of his surroundings. He knew immediately where he was. It was a little section of the Common Ward known as "Blackfire Court". Legend told that over a century ago some evil priest had summoned demons from this spot and on one fateful day the entire area had glowed with fire of the purest black. The legend went on to say that the priest had been consumed by his evil summonings and the fire burned down everything in it's path until reached the city wall. Today Blackfire Court was a busy collection of shops and taverns. Looming at the end of the court sat "Blackfire Gate" (although only the locals called it that to the government it was merely a city watch post) Calan found himself thinking about old Menna she lived in this area somewhere his mother had told him. The thought of his mother brought a small pang of guilt. He had been gone for over a day. Did she miss him? He wondered. He steeled himself to the fact that he MUST see this adventure to the end and sat back down behind the crates to wait.....

Blackfire Court. Young Calan finds himself deeper and deeper in this adventure. This map depicts a small section of the "Common Ward" of the City of Riverhewn. It is where most of the "working class" of the city live and is home to our young hero. I've started the city wall and the guard gate layout. I'm not 100% sure about the dirt texture I think I want something a little more "gritty". The black "boxes" are temporary so that I can finalize the layouts of the court's buildings. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Lukc
    Hey! Welcome back!
    Thanks !!

Name:	Blackfire Cut.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	46776

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast