Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commission - Unnamed world

Sweetness Ramah, I'm happy to see something new from you. I have to say I love the Jungle vegetation. If you did that with Treething then I'm going to have to go another round with it because I clearly missed something.

Can't wait to see more, thanks for sharing your awesome stuff!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

To answer some of the questions:

Lukc: As various people say later in the thread - I'm using TreeThing for the forests. I'm using the Vaniya Mixed brushset that I included with the program and the jungle brushes I also included - although I had to edit them somewhat as I believe some shades were missing or something. For the shadows I'm also using TreeThing, which places shadows beneath each tree but I'm also using several other layers, one of which is the template I use to generate the forest in TreeThing, all of which are filled in with a custom pattern that I made that is supposed to resemble some rough line shading.

Tostan: It's larger than that. A0 I think which is... umm.. 33" x 46"? Something like that. My PC has 2gb of ram so I guess it could take another 1gb before it reaches its cap as I'm running 32bit XP. The plan is to first get a new HDD so I can then get 64bit Windows 7 without losing anything I currently have installed, which would then allow me to utilise more ram. Well, something like that.

Schwarzkreuz: as the other guys say, I'm using a program. I'm not sure if the last version I uploaded does it or not, but when I generate a forest it gives me a count of the amount of trees in it. As all my forests span across 10 PSD's I was pretty lax with the adding and was rounding figures off. So 68k is approximate - give or take a thousand.
    And yeah, I'll also be adding places and labels.

Jax - Yeah, I made the jungle using TreeThing, although to get the look I had to do quite a bit of post-imaging work in Photoshop on the generated layers. The program gives you four layers - shadows, trees, shades and masks - but the forests here have around a dozen layers and an extra four layers for the shadows. I also had to use a parameter in the program that has not been fully integrated yet or explained which is "Maximum Brush Width" I believe. Altering this fools the program into believing the actual brush images it reads are different to what they are and so the spacing of a forest is changed. So lowering this parameter will make the trees closer together - something I had to do a lot for the jungle.
    Last edited by Ramah; 03-06-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

wow wow wow! Great to see some work from you again. This is huge man, and absolutely stunning. I once did an A0 map and still remember the different files and stichting and overlapping them together ... it's a real challenge. I must wish you luck with the labelling as this will be another interesting challenge Can't wait to see the final result though... GL+cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking great Ramah as usual - so nice to see something from you again. What a great project.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Would Rep, but can't.... looks great anyway....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12