Yes, this article addresses a very important issue. I do most of my reading on a Kindle 3 and while the resizing does not seem *as* bad as you describe it (or perhaps the maps are just set to 500 x 666), the issue of legibility is exactly as bad. Images are tiny and the texts tinier. In a book on the history of ancient Egypt the labels are, at a quick guess, displayed in point 4. Barely legible, you might think - not so. Professional print of black and white is usually around 600 dpi, even your desktop printer easily hits 300 dpi. At 175 the Kindle screen relies on anti-aliasing to help display details that small - which means the little text is blurry.

I would think that it's therefore important to use a font where the individual glyphs are hard to mix up - no pretty geometric fonts, no extra light fonts. What you want is a nice, fattish font with visible ascenders and descenders and possibly serifs to distinguish c's and e's, old-style a's and other stuff.

P.S. - and let me just say I'm very satisfied with my Kindle despite this shortcoming