Thread: Realistic 2300AD Near Star map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you resolve conflicts in position between the different catalogues? Some of the names differ. I tried doing automating an intersect between Gliese 2 and 3 many, many moons ago and finally gave it up for dead.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Cool map!

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    How do you resolve conflicts in position between the different catalogues? Some of the names differ. I tried doing automating an intersect between Gliese 2 and 3 many, many moons ago and finally gave it up for dead.
    Gliese is just all-around wrong - it's long since been superseded by Hipparcos (which has had two different refinements since then!). But if I had to use Gliese, I would just drop Gliese 2 and use Gliese 3 instead (thereby avoiding conflict between them!).

Trigonometric parallaxes win over anything else - those are way more accurate than other distance determination methods. RECONS, DENSE and CTOIPI are all trigonometric, and out of those I hold RECONS as being completely accurate (it's not really, but it's the most accurate of the lot), then DENSE, then CTIOPI. Beyond that HipX is king. LDWARF is "accurate enough" - I'd guess that many of the distances aren't too accurate since most are photometrically determined (not trigonometrically).

There aren't too many conflicts between those catalogues because there's not a huge amount of overlap. But I would never use HipX along with Yale and/or Gliese - they're so different that they may as well describe different universes . Hipparcos would always reign supreme out of those three, and Yale and Gliese should never be mixed because you will get a lot of overlap and duplicates.

(er, did that answer your question at all?)

EDIT: Oh yeah! Cool map!
    Glad you like it