Thread: Ancient Arabia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I really like the palette but as a whole it just doesn't seem to gel together like your maps usually do. I think the main reason is the way your elements don't feel part of the map but just placed on. For instance, your mountains show the colours coming through, which is ok, but when they go across several colours they betray their PS brush origins. One of the mountain peaks goes over a lake and the blue shows through the same as the white does elsewhere. Also, your TreeThing forests seem to lack any jittering so the trees are placed in digital lines that really stick out.

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, I wasn't sure whether to post or not but then I asked myself, would I sooner someone posted an honest opinion on a map of mine or just keep quiet so as not to hurt my feelings and let me go on believing it was loved by all?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I really like the palette but as a whole it just doesn't seem to gel together like your maps usually do. I think the main reason is the way your elements don't feel part of the map but just placed on. For instance, your mountains show the colours coming through, which is ok, but when they go across several colours they betray their PS brush origins. One of the mountain peaks goes over a lake and the blue shows through the same as the white does elsewhere. Also, your TreeThing forests seem to lack any jittering so the trees are placed in digital lines that really stick out.

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, I wasn't sure whether to post or not but then I asked myself, would I sooner someone posted an honest opinion on a map of mine or just keep quiet so as not to hurt my feelings and let me go on believing it was loved by all?
    I'm thankful for every honest critique!
    You're right with most of the points. I would have loved to work longer on the map, but time was the critical point here. Refining and polishing, which need some time for a map of this size, were reduced considerably and I was not able to cover everything as I wanted.
    As I understood, parts of the map will be used for 3D elements and effects, so I guess the final product will be look different from my original map anyway.

Considering the very short time I had, I'm satisfied with the result.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 02-17-2012 at 02:05 PM.