Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [region 1][map 2 & 3] Chedalbur

Redrobes thanx for the info.

Don't worry it will not become peaceful elven meadows, the fens and swamps will remain a deadly place, considering it will also contain Chedalbur undead troops along with the lizardmen, and other swamp nasties. The new race will have an influence over the lizardmen if they in the mood to do so as they sort of related to the lizardmen, but most of the time care less what the lizardmen do providing they don't interfere with citizens of Chedalbur.

Chedalburians (native citizens of Chedalbur) are very hardy race, born out of the cold swamps, evolving into a powerful magical flying race. They enjoy their swamps and live in harmony with them, guarding them ruthlessly mostly with the aid of undead troops they created from the fallen. Magic abilities are generally life & death, cold, weather & nature based. Spell casters tend to be druid/sorcerers. They seldom involve themselves in politics of the outside world, but do keep an eye on their neighbour, always ready to defend against an invasion. Trading with other kingdoms is kept to the edge of the kingdom.

So in annexing the land mass with the swamps, with Chedalbur border cutting through the swamps and fens itself. Mullion town/village would be a safe trading post between the kingdom and Thrublanders within Chedalbur. Hawker Point could be safe haven resting place for those travelling from the west on their way to Mullion.

I thinking of putting a huge underground river travelling under Still Lake connecting the lake with the sea as it is the narrowest land mass. The water level never changes as the lake is connected to the river below.

Blog Entries

Bryguy asking for a pic of the relief map for Tile2... so here it is.

Blog Entries

Looking at the map of Ansium I think its time we filled in the few remaining holes. So I mapped this tile and I intend to map all the other blank ones too. I just want to get it covered now after two years or so.

So if anyone has any hints or suggestions about this map then do shout. I can redo it as its almost all script driven. At mo the edges don't quite line up. If anyone wants to add some text to the map or whatever then have a pop at it but if you can keep it on a layer so we can update the map then that would be easier than redoing the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Looking at the map of Ansium I think its time we filled in the few remaining holes. So I mapped this tile and I intend to map all the other blank ones too. I just want to get it covered now after two years or so.

So if anyone has any hints or suggestions about this map then do shout. I can redo it as its almost all script driven. At mo the edges don't quite line up. If anyone wants to add some text to the map or whatever then have a pop at it but if you can keep it on a layer so we can update the map then that would be easier than redoing the text.
    Excellent. I'll take 27 to help out, unless you've got your heart set on it.

-IG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Excellent. I'll take 27 to help out, unless you've got your heart set on it.-IG
    You go right ahead. I am only just trying to get the map covered for the areas not gettin any lovin.

Blog Entries

Messing about to get Map3 out. Playing with some new ideas which worked out ok. Still learning how to drive GTS...

You're a genius.

I've got a thread started for area 27 in the WIP forums... figured it'd get more feedback over there.

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like what you've done with the river valleys. Interesting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Well its a bit of a botch job really as I didn't tell it about whats the other side of the borders so its made rivers which head off to the nearest edge so they are not lining up very well with anything else - including my tile 2 image. Also I am running from the law with the obvious river violation there. But its better than the plain ole brown tile.

I was playing with a new idea to cut down on these little pools of water that I keep getting. Because I run a full water flow on top then anywhere where there is a local minima I will get a pool unless I turn on the permeability or evaporation and hope that the amount of these beats the rainfall. Now in cold areas the rain is quite high and the evap is low. It would be better for the program to cut a channel out and unload this water into the channels that get to the sea. So I found a way to do that and on the preview it was all clear but there must have been some small amount of water left in it because the texturer has picked that up and put some small pools in all over the place. A bit more tweaking and I think I can finally rid myself of this local minima pool problem. It has a nice side effect of generating longer and thinner rivers too which is a bonus.

The lazy man's solution is to do a global basin fill, find the difference (the parts that would be full of water) and fill all of the parts that are less than some number of data samples as land while keeping the larger areas as water. That way you'll get the advantage of a first pass that provides you with all of the larger bodies of water as well as filling in the tiny pits that are the bane of most water connectivity algorithms.

Just my two cents.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast