Thread: Jörðgarð Map of the Week #50 - Green Meadows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Congrats on the 50th Map post Mark!

Would love to see the map at a higher resolution, about 3 MB size would be nice! I think the "noise" Robulous is referring to is just the graininess of the lower resolution.

Noticed you've been using some of my bridges and other items, great to see them being put to good use!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Would love to see the map at a higher resolution, about 3 MB size would be nice! I think the "noise" Robulous is referring to is just the graininess of the lower resolution.
    That could be. I certainly could post the maps at a larger size, but I've never found an answer to the file size limits here. Therefore, I've been going at a width of 1360 Pixels. If someone can tell me what the max is, I certainly could send larger maps.

Noticed you've been using some of my bridges and other items, great to see them being put to good use!
    Sure have. We use a lot of your work. The quality is excellent. When the books are issued, you'll also find yourself listed in the credits up front.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Would love to see the map at a higher resolution, about 3 MB size would be nice!
    I too discovered the 4.77 MB limit after posting. Here's a 4.35 MB version of the map. It still doesn't match the FM8 original, however.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greeanmeadows_3000.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	42434

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    You're happy with your maps and that's fine, I'm just making some input as a geographer
    Right. That's fine.

In a river valley it's unlikely you'd see a rectangular village, with grid-patterned plots. It's more likely they'd follow higher ground along the river, as is shown in the image you posted.
    That's clearly a factor. There are many others in terms of the way villages developed in the old days. I've been to quite a number of villages in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Bohemia, Hungary and even Scotland that other factors that caused them to develop in manners different than you describe. After one has found a certain number of exceptions, it's hard to defend the contention that there's a rule. So ... I agree that your system is a logical one and one that I'm aware of in a number of towns that developed in just about the way you describe it. Did the majority develop that way? Maybe. I don't know. But if so, an impressive minority found good reasons to do things differently.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project