Thread: Jörðgarð Map of the Week #50 - Green Meadows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slightly OT but do you have a link to a map of medieval Rothenburg ob der Tauber? I looked it up on google as I'm not familiar with it, I couldn't find a map of how it once looked but I did find lots of pictures and it looks like a really lovely and interesting place (I particularly like the walls).

I was astonished to discover that you're right. I did searches with German language key words that I hoped might turn up more, but I found exactly one genuine bird's eye medieval map of Rothenburg o.d.T., and it was way too small to be of any use or value whatsoever. There are lots of Rothenburg maps, but they all are modern. I'm surprised, because there are plenty of genuine medieval maps of Rothenburg on public display in the city, and one could and probably still can buy copies of them in the tourist shops. The material that I have from medieval Rothenburg maps is limited to digital photos of small sections of the maps that we use as prototypes. The only "complete and old" map I have of Rothenburg is the famous 17th century copper etched map by Matthäus Merian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merian_rodt.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	42430

Click the map to enlarge it. Unfortunately, it's not a bird's eye map, but it still might be interesting. Merian was a famous cartographer in the 17th century who did many of Europe's more important cities in this manner. He also did some bird's eye maps but not of Rothenburg o.d.T. One of the best is of old Dresden.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project