Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
I was comparing the FT output with a sample Google Maps output. One was a position comparison to determine rough climatology (it's hard Arctic ice at the north down to about Moscow at the southernmost latitudes - the area mapped is that little bit above Norway on the globe). The other was a size comparison with a map of Europe rotated over the area of interest to get an idea for roads and nation size.

Then I did an image with the original blocks overlaid on top. It was instructive (I recall that it's been discussed before in a general way). The blocks are about 435 miles high. The bottom of blocks on the bottom row are about 370 miles wide. The tops of blocks in the top row are about 190 miles wide. The original estimate of 600x600 miles per block was way off assuming an Earth-sized world.

I'm not sure that this matters in absolute terms for this effort, but it could lead to issues if the effort is expanded using the same globe.
What are the different colors in terms of height? I just took area 5 and am having some trouble coordinating the various overviews due to the resolutions.

Joe