Thanks Lukc! "O..Big and Shiney" is always good feedback! LOL! I've played and run games with and without figurines. A great DM can run a terrific game without the visual aids but as I am only an average DM I rely on all the visual help I can get. The map was made with DundJinni, tweaked with photoshop and displayed with MapTool.

I do like the idea of the central courtyard a lot (I'll try that in my next design) but clerestory windows sounds like an easier fix. Of course the real easy excuse is to say the wall lanterns have Light spells in them.

To answer Engris: The main reason that the light shines through like that is because the windows I used come with the light projection as part of the artwork.
However, it is not entirely wrong. If you are in a dim room when the sun is directly overhead, the light will come in equally from all windows on all sides of the room. At sunrise or sunset, then the lighting will be much more directional. So this map is correct for high noon! Or it could be night time if there were multiple light sources outside, like a ring of villagers with torches surrounding the building.