Quote Originally Posted by Niall Mackay View Post
A second thing: There seems to be a river running from coast to coast big southern isle (or peninsula? hard to see...). Thats impossible, as far as i know, except if it's a canal. But then that's a very strange route.

Edit: Aaand some other river issues:
- the second isle from the left: Rivers don't split and rejoin later - at least not for such long distances. Small isles or braided rivers, yes, but not such big ones.
- the "donut-shaped" isle in the middle: a lake shoudn't have more than one surface outflow. And again, the western river is splitting up.

Aside from that, i think the map doesn't look too bad. Maybe you could give your continents some texture like the sea (a different one, of course), i think that would look good also.
Thank you for the advice!

On the Impossibility of the first coast to coast river. It's the land of D&D where anything could happen.
Also the world's magic comes from the essence of the elements, and water is a big essence to draw off of.
So the impossibility of rivers really depends on where I put a "Drain" on the world. Where the water recedes into the earth and is then recirculated in through the middle.
(I know this is probably making a lot of peoples minds explode at how stupid it sounds ^-^" )
BUT ... I do understand where you are coming from, and I see that could be changed. It was less of a river and more of an Idea for a breach in the two continents. Big channel.
I do just kind of sketch out those main rivers when I'm drawing the lands. Its all at random so a river running into itself isn't something I thought of until now. (So thank you for pointing that out.)

I do Need to redraw a lot of the world. When I first did the digital version of the map I just redid what I was doing on the paper version. A big mountain world. Now I realize I need to shrink those rivers down and shrink the mountains as well.

I'll post a redo when I get that done.

I did figure out a way to redo the background paper (Mine was just one spraypainted color over a picture of parchment) due to, I believe, RobA's tutorial on how to make realistic parchment on GIMP.