Thread: [WIP] World of Flammarion: The Known World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This looks really good. I like your coastlines especially. I hope you will come back to mapping it real soon.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Well, well, well! Seems I can't catch a break this year; work's getting pretty time consuming (no complaints, though. We're making real progress and it's getting real fun. I work in at olive-oil producer/exporter company I created with my dad). However, I'm finally with some extra time to dedicate to drawing. While I couldn't go strides ahead, I did manage to get some mountains going on, as well as adding some basic portolan lines. Here's what I got so far (I cropped the rest of the map, since I've only drawn mountains on this part). You can click on it for a bigger version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flammarion - Montañas.jpg 
Views:	1568 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	45772

Since this is the first map I ever draw using a tablet, I'm kind of improvising most of the stuff as I go along, such as the way I drew the mountains. While I usually draw cleaner ones, this particular way has grown on me lately. It's like drawing hundreds of tiny moustaches! What do you guys think? Since I've never been really much of an artist, I tend to have difficulties in keeping my style consistent, so I'd rather ask your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mythus View Post
    Had to up your rep after reading this post.

I am a huge fan of creating histories and mythologies when world creating, using them as a guide to create your world. You seemingly have done a good job with that! Very cleaver, very interesting, making me want to know more! It will likely serve as a great source of campaign material, so good job!
    Much appreciated! Flammarion is a setting I've always wanted to work with. The ideas have been tumbling around in my head for years, but time and again I kept shelving them, because they were mostly a disparrage bunch of concepts without a connecting line. So this particular campaign, and the cartographic drive caused by this forum, have made me to finally start turning it into something more solid. No idea if it is really original or even worthwhile to read, but I've really had a fun time working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    This looks really good. I like your coastlines especially. I hope you will come back to mapping it real soon.
    Why thank you very much!
    Last edited by Klaus van der Kroft; 06-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.