Thread: Geology vs. Higher Power - Your Opinion Welcome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Well I can tell you that were very short on people here with good geology knowledge that can impart a bit to help make maps or software for making terrain / maps. I'm always looking for people with some knowledge of the physical properties that drive geological processes especially erosion and river formation. Many people here just want a map to play their next game or one for a book they are writing. Not many of the fantasy books had proper geology for their maps and that's especially true of the early ones. People are making more of an effort in recent times which may be due to their expectations and demands being set higher every year.

Somewhere between the North Pole and the South Pole

I certainly agree, Redrobes. At least, new authors that do provide maps do show some effort to make it seem possibly Earth-like,

For instance, probably the best Science/Higher Power map that I hold in high regard is Arda (the world of Middle-Earth, created by Tolkien). He combines known science of the time (remember, continental drift and geology is actually 100 years old) with his strong Catholic roots. He did a superb job.

Even still, for one fairly large project I am working on, I am trying to combine science with faith much like Tolkien. I hope that one day, I can show the regions I have worked on.