Thread: Béan, the Vertical City (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Lol, it's not Mr Bean, it's meant to be pronounced Bay-ahn! Haha, this is always the trouble with fantasy orthography! I tried writing Bé-än or something like that but it looks funny, I'll have to think more about the spelling.

Re the shape - Niall is right it literally is a "vertical city in an upthrusting finger of rock". It's a volcanic plug, rather like Edinburgh Castle. The rock is what's left of the solidified lava in the throat of a long-dead volcano, the soft ash cone has long since been worn away by weather and glaciation. There's still a little bit of residual heat, enough to make hot water, but it's otherwise extinct.

Larb you're right, the windmills are indeed for pumping water into big storage tanks and a reservoir uptown. I'm actually not that set on the main street being a spiral - there's no real reason why they should be since much of the city's formed from natural tunnels, I'm happy to ditch that idea.

thebax love the idea of insets. maybe I should do some cross-sections too, to give an impression of layout.
    Last edited by Robulous; 02-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.