Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
With your statement about making stuff yourself. I would quite agree. Except that if you make a cake yourself in the shape of a Disney character or film your kid with some music in the background then its not acceptable.
Well, obviously you have not created the music or those characters yourself, now did you?

The problem is that lets say you switched off the music player so that now your kid is dancing without any music. Then there is still the designer of his clothes and the pattern on the carpet not to mention anything else in the background like pictures, vases, furniture shapes etc.
The music is an obvious part of the new work, so you could say the video is derivative of the music. Just play music you wrote yourself, or use cc-licensed or public domain music. Lots of that around if you look.

As for the carpet patterns or pictures in the background - You are very welcome to cite cases where this has been an actual problem. I have the feeling you're making that up.

Here is a public domain photo site with a pic of a modern building. As you say, architecture is covered, so is this picture legit to be public domain now ?
http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...odern-building
Yeah building designs CAN be copyrightable. But I believe this varies by country. Ask your attorney.

Say I went to the Oscars and took a photo of a celeb. Given that dress/suit is probably covered with a design copyright is it my photo. Could I post it. Any by extension and some case law that I recall, any photo you have taken yourself with a car in it. That has occurred. Or a photo which has a bill board poster advert, or a printed company lorry. Can you record yourself if your stood outside of a cafe with music playing or say you live next door to a concert stadium. If you sketch that building is it still ok. Theres a slew of problems sketching in a museum even for old pictures.
Again, ask your attorney. Much of this is probably very, very dependent on specific cases.

Where all of these things used to be 'obviously' ok they are now not necessarily ok. If the fines for putting a photo with some lorry advert in the background was at most a mild telling off with possibly taking the photo down or modifying it then ok but with fines that make assault or vandalism look mild, the situation is well out of control. This is where things have gotten stupid.
I am not convinced those things "were okay". But feel free to cite specific cases, I still think you are making stuff up to give yourself an argument.