Thread: First Effort

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing a portolan like this, I've done a couple myself. You might want to add a few more named locations along the coast though. All the real portolans I've ever seen are quite dense with names, but otherwise it's just fine without any inland detail.
    Pssst! We want some inland detail

On a more serious note - Hai-Etlik is totally right, there is nothing wrong with this map. Sorry if my first post came across as too critical. It's just that i'd like to know more about the inland portion of this world So i hope you'll still do a version where you emphasize the features of the land.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Apprentice

Here is version 2, with some inland detail. I didn't realize how difficult it was to come up with enough reasonable place names to line the coastline of a portolan-style map, so instead I detailed the land, courtesy of these excellent brushes. The western half of the map definatly still needs some work, but I would call v2 of the Archonate of Canvarr completed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carvarr_v2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	42766
    This map details a location which has been referenced in some of my Tabletop RPG games, but never really fleshed out. The gist of the story is that Naltan was the capital of an ancient empire toppled centuries ago by a mutinous cabal of military sorcerers from Karthan who proceeded to rule the region, using their monopoly on magic to stay in power. However, for centuries the Archons, military governers of the city-state of Canvarr, sought a way to neutralize the magic of their sorcerous overlords and eventually found that power in the science of alchemy. The breakthrough came when the alchemists of Canvarr developed gunpowder weaponry and launched a bloody revolution. Over the course of a generation, they broke the power of the surprised sorcerers and leveled the city of Karthan with the terrifying new tactic of aerial bombardment. Now Canvarr has strong armed the other nearby cities into the archonate and grown rich off of the sale of canons and guns to other kingdoms. Is that enough background for you all...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleth View Post
    Here is version 2, with some inland detail. I didn't realize how difficult it was to come up with enough reasonable place names to line the coastline of a portolan-style map,
    That's where an automatic name generator comes in handy. I was likewise too lazy so I just wrote in a standard placeholder like "Coastal City" and then ran the file through a quick little program to replace all the placeholders with randomly generated names.