Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: City Design by Journal Entry -Reboot!-

sounds good, i'm a bit behind this weekend cause i'm busy renovating my basement... but come sat night or sunday i hope to have time to get a map up so you can choose locations.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

My wife's been away for a couple of weeks so things round here have turned into a "holy crap there is 3 weeks of man-clutter I need to get rid of" along with the fact that I had her brother and a friend of his over on the weekend to do the electrical in our basement.. so much cleaning.. hopefully i'll get something done soon.. maybe i'll do a quick one up, nothing visually special, but defining topography and such enough so you can get a feel for the area.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I'm kind of waiting for time to pass I guess. I mean... to see if anyone else wants to post in a specific time frame.

I think we need a regular 'state of the village/town/whatever' post from the Capitan to symbolize that a particular time period is over.

yeah, no hurry. I'm still trying to get a decent map of the area up.. i'm thinking of using GP's style from his Asian-style campaign maps i just saw.. absically, top-downish, with outlines of buildings etc... biggest think i'm having issues getting right is a bit of texture of the landscape... i need to be able to illustrate a few hills and such (for instance where the fort is located), and this is something i've never tried to do in gimp so far.. i'm getting there, but not quite finished yet (i don't have my tablet here. which would make things much easier...)

I'm thinking of importing the image to a google document image, and then sharing it out.. so you guys can mark out plots for buildings your looking to build.. so we can see the exact locations. does that sound like a good idea?

Sounds like a mess, I can take whatever you post and just draw a little X on it and re-post it easy enough. The google document images are a real pain to work with in my experience.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a bard or a cartographer post soon. And I'm thinking about a mason scouting a new quarry for a mason's guild.

What is the religion like? Maybe a priest or cleric thinking to set up a new church.

as for religion, if you've seen any of "Avatar: the Last Airbender" cartoon series (not quite anime in my opinion, but still great) thats basically what i'm looking at... kind of a shinto-y type of religion based on the elements.. there is a spirit world, good and evil, and the 4 elements...

The other thing i think should be mentioned is that is isn't even considered a city yet... so it's inhabitants are pretty rough folk... It's obvious this is meant to become at least a small city, so a smith, lumber yard, outfitter makes sense... but a dunno, a cartographer would probably be a bit early... A post BY a cartographer would be great, but it's kind of a "rich" profession, so while I could totally see someone sending out a cartographer to map the area for the rich guild elites... he wouldn't be setting up shop... he would be there to basically survey, and move on... obviously i don't want to step on your toes, and i don't really know if that was the kind of post you were thinking of, so if it was, my bad.

Yeah, I was just thinking one BY a cartographer. Once we have a map and some more things going on, basically it would be his survey notes. I thought that would be cool. Like a one off.

Also, as far as the bard I was thinking one off there too. Traveling minstrel writes something about what he saw passing through.

--Update--

Might write the Bard's entry as a poem or a song
    Last edited by angellus00; 03-22-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	43325

Ok, so this is a pretty bad attempt at a map, but i wated something up so we can continue on the process.. (i'm still very much learning GIMP.. it's kinda tricky to pick up.. but i'm getting there)... I've done the general area for the city, along with the rivers, trail used to get to the city, the fort location and the location of the bunk houses.. so.. if you would be so kind as to mark out an area on the map where you wish to build things can get a bit more concrete.. building footprints and not just an x would be great as well.. just to get the shape together... topography isn't 100%, but i wanted to show that the fort is on a hill.. it looks out of place as is.. maybe i'll kinda remove the kill portions.. i dunno we'll see..

I am aware its bad quality as well.. again i was just trying to get SOMETHING out.

What's the approximate scale on this map? That should help with placing structures and all that. Also, how much time will have passed? Days, weeks, months, years?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast