Thread: Handdrawn Map Elements, or the Madness of Brushstacking!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Honestly I find that you shouldn't need to many... I find there is usually a way to slightly alter tints, scaling and rotation (really usually just a flip if there are no shadows) and you get a pretty good variety... Mountains are the harder ones however, cause they are a bit different than say.. forests (at least for me)... I use vectors, which innately makes some of the randomization a big benefit... for an example, here is a tutorial I made a long time ago (and recieved very little comment on ) on how to create a vector forest in inkscape... take a look at the example I give... to show how much variety you can actually I only used a single vector tree I made quite quickly... using some copy/pasting, scaling, and rotating I was able to get varieties in the size... then I went through and drew some "shadow" shapes over top, to give it a look of different tree hights or slopes and the like... With one single vector tree I was able to create pretty un-similar looking forest... Even with a handful (say 5 or 6) you can create a great variety of work. Like I said, mts work a bit differently, but usually most of the principles work the same, especially if you plan the brushes out correctly... (for instance, adding shadows in after you finish "drawing" with you brushes, you are able to flip a mt and have it still make visual sense)

.... ok or i'll just forget to link to the tutorial
    here we go..
    Last edited by loogie; 03-09-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool