Thread: [WIP] My first map and first time as a DM.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Thanks for all the positive feedback, the encouragement is definitely appreciated! I'm slightly ocd at times and I've been looking at the fine lines at times and wanting to scrap the entire map. I can't wait until the campaign is underway so I can use this style for all the dungeons and towns as well

Added more color today and such. Trying to keep the colors subtle and blend well into the background color of the continents. I am fairly happy with how the swamp area turned out at least, but I am getting a tad sick of coloring in mountains by now. Those dwarves are going to be the end of me and my pen nib.

Anyone as excited as I am about the new Baldurs Gate announcement? Also, can anyone recommend a good font for labeling the map with?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap_3-15-12.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	43098

Guild Applicant

I really like pretty much all the versions. I've been using Illustrator for *years* and I'm always stumbling upon some teeny thing or other that saves time (duh!) so I always love it when other people do it too!

You asked about fonts: as I am a certifiable font freak, I can point you in the direction of http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/ which makes tons of old fonts. So great!! They also have a "map pack" which, if I remember correctly, has a lot of things in it such as north arrows, borders, sea monster and such. I never bought that one, but they commonly have freebies of certain fonts and demo versions of fonts. I highly recommend them.

I also have thousands of fonts that I collected through the years, most of them not as exciting because the maps I have worked on are not as exciting as the one you're working on.

Anyhoo, I like your maps. Good stuff.