Interesting. I hadn't expected such intense opposition in principle to the idea of a more organizational university or guild structure, though in practice, I figured it might turn out to be just too much book-keeping for the administrators (unless of course the site were somehow able to generate enough revenue to support a few full time staff).

As to the rates, I understand that the particularities of each job make it difficult to set fixed rates (though that is why I also included a payment range within the payment scale). The basic idea though would be that there would be a way to identify and distinguish between different skill levels, and thus attempt to establish a system that, at the end of the day, is of benefit to amateur and professional artists (for reasons previously given).

As to hierarchy, well there already exists a hierarchy here and at virtually every institution that exists. The only difference is that it would be a bit more defined within a Guild structure. And once again, the reasons for this are to promote the craft, and support those among us whose livelihood derives from it (and related art commissions). The forums need not change at all in the day to day affairs. It would still be a place where people could come, create a "novice" account, check out tutorials, post their WIP, comment etc. Nothing would change except the reputation & commission systems.

But as I said earlier, I recognize that unless some clear financial incentives can be generated, the time and energy that designing and up-keeping such a system would require would probably exceed many of the benefits of such a system.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh