Thread: Final Fantasy 4 map rendered into a height map.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What I was thinking was to use the mountain layer as a mask for some heightmaps downloaded from the USGS or something. I don't happen to have a DEM (digital elevation map) handy at the moment, or the time to go out and find one, but I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the Mapping Elements forum with links to sources for them. Or you could use this as a start and run it through Wilbur, which is a free heightmap generation and editing tool. It's a little difficult to use, but its creator, Joe Slayton aka Waldronate, is a member of this forum and is usually happy to help people use it. I'm not sure how it does with continent-scale erosion, though. I've only used it for maps less than 6400 square miles.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    What I was thinking was to use the mountain layer as a mask for some heightmaps downloaded from the USGS or something. I don't happen to have a DEM (digital elevation map) handy at the moment, or the time to go out and find one, but I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the Mapping Elements forum with links to sources for them. Or you could use this as a start and run it through Wilbur, which is a free heightmap generation and editing tool. It's a little difficult to use, but its creator, Joe Slayton aka Waldronate, is a member of this forum and is usually happy to help people use it. I'm not sure how it does with continent-scale erosion, though. I've only used it for maps less than 6400 square miles.
    What is the USGS? I'm looking now.. and been playing around with this Wilbur program, it seems like all the commands are through filter and the top menu. Would I have to redraw this or could i import or what? thanks for reply