Thread: April Entry: Roan and the Sea Worg

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Navigational complications...

After some thought, I realized this was really going to be a challenge for me.

Here's the issue - the People who use and read this map are Picts, illiterate peoples with no concept of longitudes and latitudes, runes perhaps, but no words or numbers on the map.

For the reader to be able to understand the graphic code to finding the secret location - I need some kind of longitude/latitude apparatus.

Thinking about longitudes. The number 13 is significant to their calendar year which is counted in lunar months. I'm thinking of having 13 "longitudes" with phases of the moon icons at the top of the map coinciding with vertices of the vertical grid.

Latitudes might be based on the 9 greater spirits of their pantheon - the four seasons, the four elements and time, with icons representing each.

The scale represented in a grid square (?): a day's flight as the crow flies, a rowing crew's speed in a day without wind, or 100 miles... not sure yet.

Sidenote: creating authentic looking and quality Celtic knotwork is a tough prospect!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-11-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations