Thread: Map of [Region Name Here]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    Some kind of scale would be nice, maybe, to make it easier to think about whether this all makes sense. Also this is a screen-breakingly large image. (oO_Oo)

It looks pretty cool, although I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the tectonic situation here. Is the dark brown the highest mountain ridge on the map, and the brown and grey respectively lower elevation contours, or do brown and grey indicate different heights of mountain ridges, or what? I like the inland sea as well, been playing with that idea myself lately..

As to labels: maybe import it into GIMP (or Illustrator if you have it) once you're done with the art and add the labels there?
    Ah yes... I had forgotten about scale. Well, to be completely honest I'm not quite decided. I think I'm looking at a planet significantly smaller than Earth (maybe around 60% its size), and I suppose assuming the same atmospheric circulation as Earth, this would have to stretch from about the subtropical high to near the polar high (~25 to 75 degrees North).

In regards to tectonics, I have to admit that is one factor I haven't factored in, consciously at least. I'm not sure how many plates would be involved given the number of mountains and the fact that this is basically one continent. The brown was supposed to represent any kind of significant hills, whereas the grey and white were supposed to indicate something more on the order of mountains, including a few specific peaks. I kinda rushed putting this out because I wanted to post something before dinner, haha... I wish I could make it a bit clearer, but it's probably not worth investing much more time in something that's more of a placeholder than anything else, lol. Basically there's going to be a long mountain chain along the west side of the continent, which I guess could be explained by the subduction of an oceanic plate, but I'm not sure how to justify the spiraling motion farther south. Hmmm... maybe something with a hot spot or volcano? I'm also going to have a couple of other mountain chains as indicated by the crude, greyish-brown lines (serving to separate the middle realm from the desert and sea in the south, and from the tundra in the north). So far I'm thinking most of the coastal mountains will merely be large hills, and only a few of them will have well-defined peaks, whereas the north and south mountain chains will probably be a bit steeper.

And sorry about the size of the image- the final one will be bigger, but I don't meant to be breaking everyone's screen, lol. Thanks for the label suggestion too.
    Last edited by Scipio; 03-22-2012 at 12:48 AM.