Like a few others I started with AD&D 2nd edition back in 1994 or so. After moving back to Slovenia I pretty much single-handedly started pen-and-paper role-playing in my town and I've been a DM for the last 17 years, give or take. In the late 90's we switched to 3rd edition, then there was a bit of a hiatus around when college ended before we started up with 4th edition again. In between we tried Alternity and a few other role-playing systems and home-brews, but D&D in its various forms has lasted the longest for us.

Last year our 4th edition game ground to a halt as the rules and gameplay after about lvl 11 got too slow for our taste. I got my players permission and gutted the 4E system, basically leaving the PCs permanently in the 5th-7th level power bracket. After playtesting and working over the rules we've got a game system with about 6-8 enthusiastic players, games that fly by and we meet probably once every 1-2 weeks. We call the system (B)ASS - (bloody) adventures of sword & sorcery. What started as a joke has thus become our default version of "D&D" (we say it's still D&D - there are d20s, dungeons and dragons. Good enough for us. Actually, I bet any D&D player would understand the system in about 5 minutes.)