Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
Ha. Yeah, I loved my linux box but ended up giving the machine away. Although I hear horrible things about the state of ubuntu these days Damn shame, that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on what you mean by Horrible... If you mean the window manager Unity, well... you have options to use GNOME3 or even GNOME2.x or one of many other window managers. Personally, when I re-installed, I went with Mint 12 which is based on Ubuntu but with GNOME3 as it's default window manager BUT it includes some pre installed extensions that make GNOME3 work a bit more like GNOME2(so sort of a best of both worlds approach).

In any event, I don't have a ton of windows specific stuff I need to do, but most of that stuff is possible on windows XP, so I just slap a VirtualBox in linux and use that to run windows software that I "need"(like a few .Net 4/Silverlight only things that Mono can't cope with at the moment). If you have decent hard drive space(or can afford a secondary/bigger one) I would highly recommend a dual boot and play around with linux more.

Opinions on distro's are as numerous as there are people, but for the most part I like the ubuntu style of try to keep things as easy and generic as possible. It's not that I could not use OpenSuse, Fedora, or another distro that has less hand holding, its that I just don't have the time to spend trying to figure out stuff that I don't really "need" to know just to say I use X distro of linux....