Thread: My world building project needs realism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

Your currents look pretty good, but you have an unnecessary band at the equator. Your equatorial countercurrent doesn't really need to be a loop, the east to west flows from your gyres basically equate to that loop. You are also missing a small section of what would likely be a counter-equatorial flow. Also in your northeast section there appears to be an oddity, which I don't think would work well. Here you have two gyres sort of meeting which should likely be one that sticks with more earthly travel. Your warm equatorial water should go around that island left and right and then continue north before swinging back east and dropping south. Or at least that would be the way to avoid some curious weather issues. I'm not an expert, but for surface currents I think that change would be a good bet.

You've a good deal of land mass and a fairly open equator, your ITCZ will likely be an interesting propellant of weather.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    Your currents look pretty good, but you have an unnecessary band at the equator. Your equatorial countercurrent doesn't really need to be a loop, the east to west flows from your gyres basically equate to that loop. You are also missing a small section of what would likely be a counter-equatorial flow. Also in your northeast section there appears to be an oddity, which I don't think would work well. Here you have two gyres sort of meeting which should likely be one that sticks with more earthly travel. Your warm equatorial water should go around that island left and right and then continue north before swinging back east and dropping south. Or at least that would be the way to avoid some curious weather issues. I'm not an expert, but for surface currents I think that change would be a good bet.

You've a good deal of land mass and a fairly open equator, your ITCZ will likely be an interesting propellant of weather.
    This is a bit difficult for me to follow. I found out what ITCZ is on google. I will remove the unnecessary band at the equator. There will be islands coming there soon anyway.
    I can't entirely follow whee you'd adjust the currents otherwise. Could you maybe quickly scribble over it in paint or so? Please and thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartography2.jpeg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	43420

This is as far as I understood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartography2.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	43419  
    Last edited by Hyrrow; 03-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Name:	cartography3.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	43421

This is how far I got with plate tectonics. I hope it's not too bad!

Guild Apprentice

Name:	cartography3.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	43423
    Mild changes on the right side of the map for tectonic plates.