Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duinnin Map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Scaling and elevation are looking good, but the mountain areas are really round. This is fine if (a) it's fantasy, who cares?, or (b) the world is more volcanic than tectonic (like Mars). If you want it to be more earthlike, you'll have more linear mountain ranges that happen as large plates collide with and move away from each other.

Of course, I'm only bringing this up because you said specifically that you were looking for realism; it honestly looks great as is. I like the color scheme and the style you've got going alot.

Reworked the terrain again and tackled the sea elevation too. I'll add lakes and rivers once I'm happy with the overall terrain. Are the mountains better now?

I do the terrain by rendering "difference clouds" in Photoshop until I find something I like, brush over it to tweak elevation and then duplicate it a few times and apply brightness/contrast at different levels, applying a color overlay for each elevation. It turns out quite nice if I do say so myself. Its just a matter of finding the right look that is a pain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	physicalmap.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	560.1 KB 
ID:	43672

I decided to practice my new map style on the other continent I had created. Love the look!

Name:	2map.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	43678

I used Wilbur to determine rivers and lakes, edited the results into my map and here we go. I'm unsure about it.

Name:	1lakes.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	860.5 KB 
ID:	43680

Guild Adept

I would say the rivers went totally insane. You might take some ideas into account then hand draw them to make sense. I've never met an automated river creator I liked.

I noticed I missed editing a big section of rivers, but most I've tweaked seem to follow the higher elevation to lower elevation route. Too many rivers and lakes I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12