Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [WIP] Hand-drawn map features

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Actually I meant snowcaps rather than corrections, but otherwise Slylok had my meaning nailed I too, find it hard to get good hatching and such with the digital media; I think it may be because I'm too poor to afford a bigger tablet (I'm using a 4"x6" tablet to translate to 23" of screen), so hand actions don't precisely translate to actual drawing actions. I've found that zooming way in helps a lot though. So does the brush/tool used.

To get back on topic, I love the mountain! Never really been a fan of that style of parchment, but to each her own!

Hmmm, perhaps that's my problem, too, the small tablet. I'll have to try with the zoom-in technique. I'm not reallt sure I haven't tried it, but neither I am sure I did!
    However, on pencil, I draw just the silouhette of the mountain and the hatching. I add color with photoshop, and don't really have problems with snowcaps (in the coor layer I draw very very light gray instead of brown).
    Still, would love the Undo.

Oh, the parchment is there just for test. I did it the other morning while I was brewing my coffee, and wanted to try the effect. Actually, I don't think I will be using that because it's too "textures" and I think I'll want a more morbid background.
    Actually, I'm looking for a good tutorial for a parchment background
    As for the mountain, thanks. I added a bit of texture there, and really like the effect. Now I'll have to draw a map with this style to see the general effect!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

RobA has a great tutorial for making parchment in Gimp, check it out

Thanks Gidde! It is exactly what I needed! I don't know how I managed to miss it!
    Now let's see if it is also doable in photoshop. Otherwise I guess I'll be getting GIMP soon enough!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234