Thread: March/April 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Lostwater Caves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks good Inriconus, I like the texture. I'd just point out, however, that the dirt layer you've done is too thick and most of the "brown dirt" should actually be white/grey rock. On a karst landscape you get 1 metre of soil or so, rarely 2. Where you get farming and settled communities on karst, the landscape becomes littered with stone walls, cairns and piles, and all the houses end up built of stone, because farmers keep pulling stones out of their soil to make arable land (usually at the bottoms of depressions and such).

Example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kraskavrtaca.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	43707

Example more:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kraskavrtaca2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	43708

And the entrance to a really pretty cave nearby, on wikipedia, where else. More of the Škocjan caves.
    Some more pretty karst pictures (nicer than on the English wikipedia, if you ask me).

P.S. - I actually live on river/lake poop. A 20-30m thick layer of gravel and conglomerate over more than 70m of fine clay. The clay was only discovered when they started drilling for groundwater to use for heating and instead of river deposits they found ... clay. And more clay. But there's karst nearby it just sticks out of the gravel a lot more.
    Last edited by Lukc; 04-05-2012 at 04:25 AM.