Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Map (Critique!)

I like those icons, though they are bit large, but that's only a small nitpick. Overall this is looking quite nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I absolutely love the hand drawn elements! Especially the mountains and the forest...it brings a very unique and creative flavor to the map.

I think the strokes around the landmasses could do with a very subtle blurring effect. I'd say about 0.3 gaussian blur if you're using Photoshop. As it stands now, the sharpness contrasts with the very soft features of the overall map.

As for a good font, I would recommend something with curves or a little flair to it to go with the overall appearance of the map. A drop shadow for the text would make it blend nicely as well.

Have some rep!
    Last edited by ExMachina; 07-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.

I like to stick with classic, sharp fonts, like myriad or chaparral or helvetica ... but that's just personal preference. Anyhow, for a map like yours I'd go for sth softer and more rounded ... maybe even a Cooper Black? It looks a bit cartoony, but for the large labels it might work nicely, then use something simple for the smaller labels, maybe something that looks hand-lettered or a soft sans serif - perhaps even Comfortaa or Kirsten ITC?

@Lukc: You and I have similar font taste I like you (and I love your maps, all of 'em). Thank you for the recommendations. The map style sort of got away from me, heh.

@ExMachina: Thank you for the suggestions, I'll definitely play with the coast line stuff. I didn't even notice; any time I spent zoomed in that close was mostly on land

@Arsheesh: Yeah =/ I'd actually shrunk a lot of them down, too! After sleeping on it I definitely still see they are too large. Thank you for pointing it out.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

This font may not look very good on the hand drawn map, but for some reason my mind was drawn to Quaver.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123