Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Thoughts View Post
They travel mostly by train. The roads aren't very sophisticated and have been largely abandoned in favor of improving trains, their railways, and the like. Almost everyone rides a train when they need to get somewhere; wagons never were invented (I have reasons for these strange things). Nearly every settlement has a station nearby to use; there are only about 2 to 4 that do not and that will be corrected within the century or perhaps shortly after. I have a fascination with trains, as you might have guessed from my avatar (and thank you for your avatar approval; it makes me feel better about myself. )
Trains don't eliminate the need for roads or for wagons (or wagon-equivalents). When rail came in, a lot of folks expected to see a decline in the horse, but actually there was a great increase in the number of working horses, because while the train allowed a much greater movement of material, it isn't practical to run a rail to every shop or other shipping location, much less take the train there, so there was a great need for horse-drawn wagons to do the "last mile" delivery. You need something to perform this job in your world.