Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Using a high-latitude location like the Falkland islands really points out the importance of using a good projection. Those islands are really stretched horizontally (a factor of about 1.6, if I've done 1/cos(51.75) correctly) in the Plate Caree projection.
    And Kudos to waldronate !! Yeah they were stretched out a few times while I was tooling around with the height field to make them suit what I want to see....still not sure it looks right but am willing to let it stand where it is.

Thanks Jae, it was some work to get them deep enough looking (not sure why though), but I like them too.

Arsheesh, try looking for a tut for FW Tools. It was the one that I used to get the basic height field waaaay back when.
    Last edited by Korash; 12-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Here is the map i spent pretty much all afternoon/evening on yesterday. Just want to say great tutorial and i am really pleased with how this turned out. The only thing i could not get was the last bit with the river mask and the selecting from channel to make the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asianmapfinal final ish.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	899.0 KB 
ID:	60937

Not long after (and in response to, if I recall) this tutorial was originally published, Wilbur sprouted a river computation function (Texture>>Other Maps>>River Flow). This feature can make river finding much simpler, especially on terrains that have already been processed in Wilbur.

First, thank you Arsheesh for creating this tutorial, and thank you Waldronite and everyone else who contributed useful info in the thread.

Where can I grab the latest version of Wilbur? I am following this tutorial and I just got up to that point.

Hi Markus, you can find the latest version (correct me if I'm wrong Waldronate) here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by ChickPea; 12-12-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Corrected outdated Wilbur link

Okay, I'll try downloading it from there - thanks for the quick response.

I downloaded it from somewhere else, and after I installed it, I can't find it.

EDIT: LOL - nvmd, found it. My search function couldn't find it, so I had to look through my C drive the old-fashioned way. Weird.

Thanks again Arsheesh, for everything.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 02-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.

I keep meaning to fix the installer to put a shortcut somewhere useful. Probably won't happen until the next version of Wilbur comes out, which won't be for a while yet...

Okay, I get up to the part where I load it in Wilbur, and everything looks pretty good. I do the first few steps, and then when I get to the 'Fill Basin' part it just turns everything a sickly greenish-yellow. I've tried playing with the settings, and have even tried running the fill basin without doing the other stuff first, and all it does is slightly change the sickly color it changes everything to (everything except the peaks of the mountains).

Any ideas? I would have included some screenshots, but when I try to save the file in Wilbur all I get is my original Height Map from GIMP. Why aren't the changes applying to the save?

I can't believe I got this far and am stuck. I have a feeling it has something to do with the setting (map) itself - the world is a flat disc, so it has a ring of mountains around it, rather then ocean (but there still is lots of ocean, its just inside that mountain-barrier).
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 02-17-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Default Re: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

What are your settings that you are using for your fills and flows? For the flows try to go large just see if you get different results. Like Arsheesh mentions near the beginning of the tuts, picture scale can have a marked difference on your settings at various points.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks for the quick response.

I did shrink my map from 6600 px to 2200 px - just a shade (100) larger then the file in the tutorial, so I didn't think that would make much difference. All other settings I left at their presets, unless otherwise noted in the tutorial.

I notice that when I do the first step (in Wilbur), changing the map height in the mathematical setting to be between 500-3500, the water goes from blue to green, and starts looking like it is merging with the land. However, I did try to proceed without doing that step, and still get the same bad results when I try to fill the basins. Everything but the very tops of the mountains merge into a greenish-yellow flat color. I get the feeling it isn't detecting the coasts somehow.

I'm still thinking that it has something to do with the ring of land around the perimeter that is throwing something off in Wilbur. Everything up until that point worked just fine.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 02-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast