Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Finished my second map using this tutorial, used my own mountain technique this time. CC welcomed, the world is called Donne.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_of_the_world_Donne.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	72319  

Hey there ludgarthewarwolf, congrats on finishing your second map!

Nice job on the mountains. OK, you asked for CC, and I do have a few pointers for you. First, the map looks as if it has been stretched horizontally. I'm not sure if this is because you scaled the image so that it would be wider, or if when you created the clouds layer you did not adjust the X and Y size to account for the different height/width dimensions. Second, the rivers look really angular. This usually happens when there isn't enough %noise when you are running Incise Flow in Wilbur. Here's a tip. After you've done the initial "Fill Basins" step, go to the select menu, click on "From Terrain", and then click "Flat Areas". Net add more noise (usually 5% is sufficient, but you may need to go as high as 10% - just test it out). Then do another "Fill Basins", followed by "Incise Flow". This ought to get those rivers looking more natural.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hey there ludgarthewarwolf, congrats on finishing your second map!

Nice job on the mountains. OK, you asked for CC, and I do have a few pointers for you. First, the map looks as if it has been stretched horizontally. I'm not sure if this is because you scaled the image so that it would be wider, or if when you created the clouds layer you did not adjust the X and Y size to account for the different height/width dimensions. Second, the rivers look really angular. This usually happens when there isn't enough %noise when you are running Incise Flow in Wilbur. Here's a tip. After you've done the initial "Fill Basins" step, go to the select menu, click on "From Terrain", and then click "Flat Areas". Net add more noise (usually 5% is sufficient, but you may need to go as high as 10% - just test it out). Then do another "Fill Basins", followed by "Incise Flow". This ought to get those rivers looking more natural.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I've so far been unable to find the "flat area" option in the from terrain selection. I'm running wilbur 1.62 if that helps. I've also experimented with using the compute basin deltas to make selections, but haven't had a large amount of success. If you're interested I can whip up a quick tutorial about how I made the mountains. I'm artistically challenged, so I found a way to do it without much airbrushing.
    Thanks,
    Ludgar

Hmm, that's odd. I'm not exactly sure which version I have but under mine flat areas can be found under: Select > From Terrain > Flat Areas. Does the "From Terrain" sub menu not exist in Wilbur 1.62, or does it just not contain the "Flat Areas" option? You should definitely whip up a tutorial, it may prove useful to folks here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hmm, that's odd. I'm not exactly sure which version I have but under mine flat areas can be found under: Select > From Terrain > Flat Areas. Does the "From Terrain" sub menu not exist in Wilbur 1.62, or does it just not contain the "Flat Areas" option? You should definitely whip up a tutorial, it may prove useful to folks here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Nope, just height range and facing direction. I believe you can check your version by clicking the yellow ? in the tool bar. I'll get working on those mountains.

Those features were introduced in Wilbur 1.65; version 1.62 was released back in mid-2007. 1.83 was the last public version.

I really should get that stuff rehosted, but that sounds way harder than I have the mental capacity and time for these days...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Those features were introduced in Wilbur 1.65; version 1.62 was released back in mid-2007. 1.83 was the last public version.

I really should get that stuff rehosted, but that sounds way harder than I have the mental capacity and time for these days...
    Could you link me the most recent version? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post

Have you considered a free hosting service like Media fire? The file is not too big.

The Wilbur site has been offline for a few months now at the whim of my old ISP. When I get it rehosted, I'll post the new address here at the guild and to every place I can find contacts for that links to the old address and can be found via the googlybeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Have you considered a free hosting service like Media fire? The file is not too big.
    My #1 requirement for hosting is no third-party advertising visible on the pages.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast