Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

So I've decided to try an experiment with this technique: a poster-sized map. I'm going for a 10200x6600 pixel image, which I intend to print on a 22x34 inch poster at 300 dpi. This is about 8 times the size of the largest maps I've made to date. I'm up to the point where I'm placing mountains. I'm having no stability issues so far with GIMP, though the file size is growing quite fast (500 MB and climbing). Swapping layers and running filters takes longer, but the commands are working. I'm curious to see how WILBUR handles it.

Any suggestions and/or adjustments to the tutorial that you'd recommend? I'm thinking that when I get to WILBUR, I should cut the percentage noise to 0.5% or so. I'm also trying to keep the layer count in GIMP as low as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So I've decided to try an experiment with this technique: a poster-sized map. I'm going for a 10200x6600 pixel image, which I intend to print on a 22x34 inch poster at 300 dpi. This is about 8 times the size of the largest maps I've made to date. I'm up to the point where I'm placing mountains. I'm having no stability issues so far with GIMP, though the file size is growing quite fast (500 MB and climbing). Swapping layers and running filters takes longer, but the commands are working. I'm curious to see how WILBUR handles it.

Any suggestions and/or adjustments to the tutorial that you'd recommend? I'm thinking that when I get to WILBUR, I should cut the percentage noise to 0.5% or so. I'm also trying to keep the layer count in GIMP as low as I can.
    That is a massive image... very massive. I believe photoshop runs giant files better than GIMP, but if GIMP is working that's good.

I'm not too familiar with Wilbur but I believe it doesn't run well with large files (never mind super massive files like that). I've really only used Wilbur once or twice, but I think even around 4000 px (I think, can't really remember, maybe it was bigger) and Wilbur was crashing.

But if you get it to work that would be a truly epic product!! I'm really curious to see it!!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

The 64-bit version should be able to handle large file sizes. The 32-bit version is much more limited as Josiah describes.

Blog Entries

10200x6600 pixel image
    good size but it is NOT
    That is a massive image... very massive.
    right now i am working on a SMALL!!! rgb map of Mercury ( the planet) and it is 23,040 x 11,520

this is just the color layer for the 256 ppd map 92,160x 46,080 px image that comes next

and that is not even the largest i have worked on

suggestions

first i am guessing this will have a few continents
    use qgis or mmps to remap them from Mercator or simple cylindrical to "stereographic" centered on the one continent you are working on
    use wilbur to eroid and remap back to the format of the full map
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I've never worked with an image that large before so I'm just going to defer to Waldronate here. Best of luck though, I'm really curious how it will turn out.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm trying something similar to this myself, though on a much smaller scale. I'd suggest doing sections of the map at a time. I split my map into 3 continents, and I'm making each chain of mountains apart to limit the strain on WILBUR and GIMP.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

My initial land sculpt is done, and I'm trying my first pass through WILBUR right now. As I suspected, WILBUR is a bit slow, and I'm experimenting with the settings a bit. 0.5% noise is still a touch grainy for a map this big. My machine takes a couple of minutes to do precipitation passes and basin filling, but I'm having no stability issues with GIMP or WILBUR so far. Incise flow in WILBUR takes quite a while to load up (30-40 minutes), but it looks like this might actually work!

Guild Applicant

Thank you so much Arsheesh! This is exactly what I've wanted for awhile. Luckily I noticed somebody who made it with this method and he pointed me in the right direction.

Here's the fruit of my labor. I skipped the land glow because I felt like I didn't need it and it was giving me trouble anyway. Feel free to tell me how I did!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mark XV.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	7.84 MB 
ID:	84829

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeHawk14 View Post
    Thank you so much Arsheesh! This is exactly what I've wanted for awhile. Luckily I noticed somebody who made it with this method and he pointed me in the right direction.

Here's the fruit of my labor. I skipped the land glow because I felt like I didn't need it and it was giving me trouble anyway. Feel free to tell me how I did!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mark XV.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	7.84 MB 
ID:	84829
    My pleasure DrakeHawk14, glad you found the tutorial useful. That is a very serviceable first map. Everything looks to be in order to me. About the only suggestion I'd make is a stylistic one: I think the climate zones might benefit from a bit more gradual blending. Otherwise great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

arsheesh, that map looks absolutely amazing! Your tutorial is just what I am looking for! My only problem is that I cannot open the ggr files of your tutorial. I did a search and it says ggr is a GIMP file, and I have GIMP 2.8 but they won't open for me. I'm not sure what the issue is. Is there another way to get your tutorial? Or is there a simple way to get those files open? Thanks for any help!

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast