Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Blog Entries

you do not "open" gradient files
    you place them in the gradient folder for your user

have you even read the gimp user guild ?
    -- the English language
    http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/

for others
    http://www.gimp.org/docs/
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

As an update to the poster-size map: the image overall is coming along nicely. I've got the terrain sculpted, and although I don't feel great about my color gradients, they're drafted. Here are a few interesting limitations I've bumped into:

Stability hasn't been a problem yet for GIMP or WILBUR, though a few quirks have popped up. The file size for my land sculpt is a little over 2 GB, but when I have it open and am editing it, the bottom of my GIMP window reports a larger file size (the RAM it's using, perhaps?). When this size gets over 9GB, I can't save the .xcf file until I delete some layers and reduce it below 9GB (there's plenty of space on my hard drive). Routine operations in GIMP are a bit sluggish, and WILBUR takes a painful amount of time to do erosion effects, especially incise flow and erosion cycle.

The output jpg file is 45 MB, which Photobucket doesn't seem to accept, despite their claims to having no upper limit (The uploading bar fills up, but it claims the upload failed after 10 minutes). I have to shrink it down to about a quarter of its size to post it on Photobucket or email it on Hotmail. I haven't tried using my gmail account for it yet.

Gaussian Blur doesn't work so well at this size. I tried using it to soften some of the land textures in prairie areas. It did the job, sort of, but when I did my bump mapping, it gave the terrain a terraced look, which wasn't what I was really looking for. The smudge tool didn't work well either due to the large brush size I had to use; it also produced some small linear jumps that show up in the bump map. Running the blurred image through WILBUR's precipitation-based erosion about 10 times made these problems better, but didn't entirely eliminate the issue.

All in all, however, the process seems to be working. Here's a 1/4 size of the image; please feel free to point out any issues, especially with the colors (I have a color vision deficiency which sometimes makes it hard for me to apply and balance color gradients the right way). There are two areas in the map that are desaturated of color, one in the water and one on land. That's deliberate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rdLandSculpt_zpsmkrdox5i.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	652.4 KB 
ID:	86469
    Last edited by Coriolis; 08-11-2016 at 10:25 PM.

It looks pretty good. Not sure whats up with the saving issues in GIMP, is there still such a thing as "virtual memory" you could turn on in Windows? 9 GB is kind of enormous though.

To help with the terracing issues and other height issues in Wilbur I found that along with erosion tools, "Remap Altitudes" (in filter>other) was one of the most used features.

Blog Entries

the file size increasing in the bottom left is the undoes and history
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by gocrew View Post
    arsheesh, that map looks absolutely amazing! Your tutorial is just what I am looking for! My only problem is that I cannot open the ggr files of your tutorial. I did a search and it says ggr is a GIMP file, and I have GIMP 2.8 but they won't open for me. I'm not sure what the issue is. Is there another way to get your tutorial? Or is there a simple way to get those files open? Thanks for any help!
    Hi gocrew, sorry for the late reply, I've been away from the Guild for a spell (busy Summer). johnvanvliet is correct, the ggr file is meant to be placed in the the Gradient folder for GIMP. Once you've done this restart GIMP and you should see the new Gradient appear in your gradients docker.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As an update to the poster-size map: the image overall is coming along nicely. I've got the terrain sculpted, and although I don't feel great about my color gradients, they're drafted. Here are a few interesting limitations I've bumped into:

Stability hasn't been a problem yet for GIMP or WILBUR, though a few quirks have popped up. The file size for my land sculpt is a little over 2 GB, but when I have it open and am editing it, the bottom of my GIMP window reports a larger file size (the RAM it's using, perhaps?). When this size gets over 9GB, I can't save the .xcf file until I delete some layers and reduce it below 9GB (there's plenty of space on my hard drive). Routine operations in GIMP are a bit sluggish, and WILBUR takes a painful amount of time to do erosion effects, especially incise flow and erosion cycle.

The output jpg file is 45 MB, which Photobucket doesn't seem to accept, despite their claims to having no upper limit (The uploading bar fills up, but it claims the upload failed after 10 minutes). I have to shrink it down to about a quarter of its size to post it on Photobucket or email it on Hotmail. I haven't tried using my gmail account for it yet.

Gaussian Blur doesn't work so well at this size. I tried using it to soften some of the land textures in prairie areas. It did the job, sort of, but when I did my bump mapping, it gave the terrain a terraced look, which wasn't what I was really looking for. The smudge tool didn't work well either due to the large brush size I had to use; it also produced some small linear jumps that show up in the bump map. Running the blurred image through WILBUR's precipitation-based erosion about 10 times made these problems better, but didn't entirely eliminate the issue.

All in all, however, the process seems to be working. Here's a 1/4 size of the image; please feel free to point out any issues, especially with the colors (I have a color vision deficiency which sometimes makes it hard for me to apply and balance color gradients the right way). There are two areas in the map that are desaturated of color, one in the water and one on land. That's deliberate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rdLandSculpt_zpsmkrdox5i.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	652.4 KB 
ID:	86469
    Thanks for the updates on how this project is going Coriolis. As it happens, I've recently had the opportunity to test out large files in GIMP myself. I'm working on a commission for a client that is sized at 10000x10000px (the file, not the client mind you ). My old lap-top wouldn't have been able to handle a map of this size, but recently I purchased a computer with a good sized hard drive, loads of RAM and a good graphics card. What I'm finding is that while Wilbur is capable of handling a file this size (though it is incredibly slow), I experiencing a lot of performance issues with GIMP. Not only are the filters extremely slow, but I'm experiencing frequent crashes, especially if the file contains more than 5 layers. It's a bit frustrating actually, literally about half the time spent on this project has been been dealing with these performance issues. Well, now I know. I won't be taking on a commission this sized in the future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Applicant

i will try it, it's amazing tutorial .. thanks

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Arsheesh, any ideas or tips on how I might go about making cliffs or mesas with this technique? I've tried doing some before with a simple sharply-defined lighter area in the height map, and it didn't work out well.

The Sky, the Celestial Realm of Calchlion

Question

Hail, Arsheesh. This tutorial is truly a wonder to our GIMP civilization. I have question regarding to this.

1. Does the tutorial create landmasses randomly? If so, please tell me (I am still wondering) how to create specified lands by using or following the tutorial?

2. Is the 'Difference Clouds 1' that described in the manual page 2 same as 'Difference 1'? I am confused with that.

I think that's all. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Aenaran View Post
    Hail, Arsheesh. This tutorial is truly a wonder to our GIMP civilization. I have question regarding to this.

1. Does the tutorial create landmasses randomly? If so, please tell me (I am still wondering) how to create specified lands by using or following the tutorial?
    No, you need to do that on your own. Either use your creativity, or look at some of the other tutorials here on the forum that deal with creating random or semi-random landmasses.

2. Is the 'Difference Clouds 1' that described in the manual page 2 same as 'Difference 1'? I am confused with that.

I think that's all. Thanks.
    Seems so. I guess Arsheesh was just too lazy to type out "clouds" every time. But as the tut never explicitly tells you to create any layers called "Difference 1", the "Difference Clouds 1" layer is the only available option.

Hi everyone, sorry for the late replies, I've been away for a bit and didn't see these till just now.

@Coriolis: that is a very good question and one I'm afraid I don't know the answer to. Waldronate, the creator of Wilbur would be the person to talk to about this. My experience has been that Wilbur tends to place lakes and such in any large flat areas. If you wish to keep these areas flat one thing you might try is to replace the post-Wilbur-height-map interior section of the mesa with the pre-Wilbur-height-map. That would get rid of all of the drainage areas within the mesa.

@Lord Aenaran: as for the first question, Freodin is correct: I don't discuss creating a map outline in the Eriond tutorial. However the question has come up a few times so I did create a quick walkthrough of how to do this over at my blog (you can find it here).

As for the second question, yup, those are the same layers, it's just that the terminology is inconsistent (my mistake).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast