Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Arsheesh, I'm trying to develop a specific technique for making cliffs using your method. I think it's working ok, but wanted to see if you've got a better technique. First my starting experimental picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrace_Test_2_GHM.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	54172

Just a succession of gray colors in the general shape of a cliff, with a difference cloud layer mixed in.

Import into wilbur and run noise, fill, and precipiton results in this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrace_Test_2.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	54173

Ignore the scraggly edges...just playing around. I think it looks ok, but the hard drop off causes weird color anomalies in the gradient map, i.e. the hard green line. I think I can utilize this for my mapping project, but wanted to ping you or anyone else on a different or better technique?

Oh...forgot to add, I used both the BUMP layer and an added emboss layer, both set to overlay. Played around with the transparencies until I got the "pop" I wanted. Merged them together when I was happy with it. On hindsight I think its perhaps a little too harsh.

I think I can implement this into your tutorial flow during the blending phase. Instead of blending directly onto the LAND BUMPS layer, use a transparent layer on top to do the blending. Then, you can cut a 'hard edge' on your cliff area, with a distinct light (top of cliff) and dark (bottom of cliff) transition. I'll see if it works.
    Last edited by zukeprime; 05-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeprime View Post
    Arsheesh, I'm trying to develop a specific technique for making cliffs using your method. I think it's working ok, but wanted to see if you've got a better technique... I think I can utilize this for my mapping project, but wanted to ping you or anyone else on a different or better technique?

I think I can implement this into your tutorial flow during the blending phase. Instead of blending directly onto the LAND BUMPS layer, use a transparent layer on top to do the blending. Then, you can cut a 'hard edge' on your cliff area, with a distinct light (top of cliff) and dark (bottom of cliff) transition. I'll see if it works.
    I recently had to make a plateau in one of my maps and I used a method almost exactly similar to the one you've employed here. Just added an additional layer, rendered fractal clouds in it, used the curves function (under "Colors") to lighten the clouds, isolated the boundary areas of the plateau and deleted the rest, and then blended the edges of the plateau a bit. So yes, I think you are on the right track here. Be curious to see an update of this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh