Without seeing the height map I can only guess...

One thing that I would note is that I reduce the contrast on my "Land Clouds" layer by -50 instead of -25, page 3. It is acting like there is not enough difference between your land clouds and your mountain clouds.

Well, the map looks ok other than those saturated mountains. Have you tried applying a bump map without doing an of the masking and then applying the gradient to see if it gives you the same issues? It might be that there is something getting messy with the layer masks.

I took the image above and used just the land mass shapes and started fresh. This is what I have on the temperate layer.

It is overly grainy, too much noise I think, but It is pointing that something between going into Wilbur, and applying the gradients is where you should focus at. For the bump mapping, play with the values until it looks the way you want it to. Before going on to doing all of the layers for deserts and the artics, I would do a quick temperate gradient to make sure it looks like it is going to work.