Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katharine Kerr's Deverry

Map Katharine Kerr's Deverry

This is a map of the world of Deverry, from Katharine Kerr's Deverry Cycle. This map was made using Adobe Illustrator CS3 & Photoshop CS3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deverry 2.jpg 
Views:	6683 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	8462  

A nice map from a setting I love. I'll have to check it with the books for a fine analysis, but it looks fine to me. One comment about the settlement icons used. They seem to float over the map rather than resting on it. There's also no indication of the size or importance of the settlement. The symbol is the same whether the settlement is the home of minor Lord, Gwerbret or High King.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not familiar with the series, but I like the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise Well made map!

Hello, Zeta Kai.

As the Steel General, I am not familiar with the series. However, you've created an awesome map! Overall, I believe you have a very well planned, thought-out map here.

Valarian, As to the placenames "floating" above the map, this is the result of judicious use of "shadowing" underneath the names and settlement dots. The resulting offset of the shadow causes the names to "rise off" the map and appear to be above it. I actually like this effect, although, I would probably not use the shadow for the settlement dots themselves.

Another comment concenring your mountains. Not knowning the series form which this map was created, I may be "off base" with this comment. Is the surrounding forestland suppose to abruptly end and the mountainous terrain begin or should there be a gradual thinning of the forestland before the mountainous terrain begins.

This is a very nice map and one that certainly should make you proud. Great work!

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I can recommend the series. It's Celtic flavour fantasy, and the traditional elements of fantasy (magic, elves, dwarves) are easily missed to start. The first book is DaggerSpell. If you like the first book, you'll like the series. The story is told in a style that is a bit like the Highlander film, with a continuing story broken up with flashbacks. The stories interweave the characters from life to life (the reincarnation table in the back of some books becoming very useful). The more books that are read, the more the story and the characters build. Each further book builds on the knowledge gained from the ones previous.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I agree. These books are excellent. It's also good to see such a nice map for them. They are a breath of fresh air from many of the high fantasy D&D inspried settings.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks... have to look into them, I'm about out of stuff I haven't read 2 or 3 times except for the Malazan & Temeraire series.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

You have an enjoyable time before you then—fourteen volumes so far, with one or more to go! I recently re-read them and they remain some of my favorite fantasy books. The color map is nice, too! Only a few of these books contain maps, so you have to keep an extra book by your bedside/arm chair.

Definitely like the celtic flavor. I am not a fan of the red text... It does not seem to contrast well, but I may just not be looking at it in the right light... Also the river in the bottom left seems to flow away from the ocean... I am not part of the river police, but is that legal? Ignore if you think differently... In any case, it does not detract from the piece.
    Also, good mountains.

Very nicely done. Much better than many attempts of this map I have seen out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast