I tried to find a way to take a RPG Citymap Generator map and transform it into something more pleasing to the eye. One major point for me was, that I did not wanted to draw/ layout/compose anything myself- because I am not really good at this stuff. Basicly I am searching for a way to create maps fast.

I tried to differenciate the roads from the waterways by shadowing and lightning. I wanted to do black and white map, since it will likely be only printed in black and white. The next time I am going to try some other techniques for differentiation using textures and other effects I did not know about when I started.

I will use color later, when I am more experienced with Gimp.

Kestrelgrey, your advice on the walls is completely right. I think there is an option in the Generator to include further walls. If not I will take this into account when doing my next map. It might be to late to change it in the current incarnation- since I destroyed to much in the process to go back (still learning GIMP). You are also right about the lack of planned areas. In this case it works well, since the city is supposed to be rather chaotic. But i will take it into account next time.

Thanks for all your advice! It was not in vain, I just took to many wrong turns that now hinder me to incorporate changes. Again- still learning the software. It will all be incorporated into the next version. I already have some promising ideas...

Here is the current status:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eichgrund.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	43915