Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahdran - CC3 - MMORPG World Map

Default Mahdran - CC3 - MMORPG World Map - Looking to make it better

First and foremost, a very few people actually enjoy this style of mapping and can't stand it because it's made in "zones.". The intent of the world map is for a MMORPG. I would like to make a bit more realistic with the below changes. The world doesn't look visually pleasing zoomed out, however, it's suppose to be about the "zones" that is composed with the map. The map is designed by "zones". A zone is themed area for gameplay purposes. For using CC3 I am somewhat limited on the use of symbols, so I had to had to improve and get somewhat creative and cross symbol styles and textures.

I would like to attempt to make this map more "realistic" in a sense without completely revamping the whole world. I would consider that option, however, I am too attached to what I currently have and there would be lore issues.

Rivers

As you can tell straight off the bat the rivers don't make sense because of the flow and how they branch off. When designing this world, I didn't take in account how rivers actually worked, I just put it there based on how each zone was designed or to separate zones. I would like to keep the Wilkes-barre Cascade and Mythgore Pass area relativity the same. Anything else, I am more lenient for the other rivers.

If anyone could perhaps draw how the rivers should be that is currently on the map, I would appreciate it. I ask this, because I am still in that "zone" mindset.

Desert

Another place, I would like to make more realistic, is the Dunes of the Burning Sands. The Mujinx Plains is a decent transition into a desert. I have some questions. Would it make sense if the Mu'jinx Plains and the Dunes of the Burning sands switched places? Also, I see how a lot of deserts on other worlds on here are somewhat encased by a mountain ranges. I would also consider of adding a mountain range as well. If so, where would be the best place for that to go in that area? Perhaps would it make sense to continue the Cothtrak Mountains further south between the Scoria Tropics and the Arache Jungle? Or another separate mountain range?

Arctic

I have one area in the arctic region up north that I am interested in changing. The Mastodon Nook is the name of the zone. That was just there as a filler area. I have two ideas in mind, an ice field or a possible tundra? What do you think would work best for that particular area?

-------

Right now, I am only interested in these three possible changes. Keep in mind this is for an mmorpg. It's a bit more "magical" than Pit of War maps in the finished forums. However, he did a fantastic job. I was considering a full revamp of the map, but I just don't know how to go about it, and don't see a vision in my head.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...Final---E2.jpg
    Last edited by FarsightX3; 05-04-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Changed the topic of the thread

Looks alright from afar, but the ground everywhere looks a bit like a chaotic mess up close. If you want terrain with more variation in appearance, I would suggest importing different textures into CC, rather than saturating the continent with symbols (of course, it only makes sense to do so in forested areas, but places like Mu'Jinx Plains don't need so much tall grass. Less is more in that regard.)

The shape actually looks pretty okay to me. The Northessian Hook looks awful, though. The whole continent could use something between the ground and the water. I hesitate to say use a dark outline like I did, but maybe a light sand-coloured inner glow sheet effect could help there.

Overall, my suggestion is this: If you do plan to remake it from scratch, the best thing you could do is try bringing the scale into a more consistent base, or at least use symbols more effectively. I can see a few places with snow-capped mountains that are smaller than the rugged grey range in the neighbouring zone. You may try making the map half as big, or even smaller, and using the space given by that size more effectively.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Guild Adept

A couple quick questions: This is an entire planet... earth sized? Is that all the ocean? If so, that is a massive % of land. How many square miles is it and do you really need it? As an MMO guy since the days of text and pay per hour on AOL, I would say that the shape of things is not immediately compelling, it lacks visual interest in a pure sales sense. This isn't a judgement of the world, per se, but a judgement of its presentation. In all honesty, I am not thrilled by all the shapes in my world, but they've been around so danged long its hard to change them totally, LOL. Personally I would remake it from scratch and make it more like an Earth-sized (land to water ratio) Pangea and give it more shape. This isn't a matter of realism, who the heck knows what millions of worlds out there look like? We've got a small sampling here on Earth, but it is about marketability. I'm not even suggesting drastic changes, that wouldn't be needed, just more panache. Less clutter would be good. Sometimes less is more.

River and climate realism: Remake it and go for it... it makes people like me looking at a world think that the creator put more thought into the map and the map is your ambassador to potential buyers. A map that doesn't inspire will make me second guess a game or setting, no doubt.

You've got a sunken city and other interesting features, and clearly you've put a lot of thought into the setting, so why not put in the extra work to take all those features and put them into a realistic and compelling map? You really aren't that far off. And realism will often inspire even more great ideas.

Now the one area my character would head to? The Phantom Cauldron region.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    A couple quick questions: This is an entire planet... earth sized? Is that all the ocean? If so, that is a massive % of land. How many square miles is it and do you really need it? As an MMO guy since the days of text and pay per hour on AOL, I would say that the shape of things is not immediately compelling, it lacks visual interest in a pure sales sense. This isn't a judgement of the world, per se, but a judgement of its presentation. In all honesty, I am not thrilled by all the shapes in my world, but they've been around so danged long its hard to change them totally, LOL. Personally I would remake it from scratch and make it more like an Earth-sized (land to water ratio) Pangea and give it more shape. This isn't a matter of realism, who the heck knows what millions of worlds out there look like? We've got a small sampling here on Earth, but it is about marketability. I'm not even suggesting drastic changes, that wouldn't be needed, just more panache. Less clutter would be good. Sometimes less is more.

River and climate realism: Remake it and go for it... it makes people like me looking at a world think that the creator put more thought into the map and the map is your ambassador to potential buyers. A map that doesn't inspire will make me second guess a game or setting, no doubt.

You've got a sunken city and other interesting features, and clearly you've put a lot of thought into the setting, so why not put in the extra work to take all those features and put them into a realistic and compelling map? You really aren't that far off. And realism will often inspire even more great ideas.

Now the one area my character would head to? The Phantom Cauldron region.
    This map is not the entire planet. It's a super continent in the northern hemisphere. In CC3 it's 10.5k by 6k square miles. I can see how it can be a concern to question why there is so much going on in one map. That is because I have designed this world to be hosted on a single shard server. Kind of like Eve, but with no loading screens, all seamless. I am thinking way out side of the box for this world when it comes to mmos. I am hoping not to have multiple servers. But that's another conversation.

I would agree. When the map is zoomed out, it doesn't look as compelling until you zoom in, in my opinion. Mmorpgs are more focused on content then how realism the world is. The more realistic the world is, the more a player can be immersed in it.

I am the same as you, once you found something that's been around for so long you're attached too it even though it's not that great. And because I am still attached too it, I can't see it in my head to go about it with more realism. That's why I was hoping to find help on here .

The reason for the clutter is simply to show the difference for each zone. There is a lot of different environments for this world. Because CC3 is limited at certain times until they come out with decent annuals that would compliment the current symbols it's hard to do that. I don't know why, but for some reason it will be difficult for me to use less symbols. I may be the only one on this forum who likes a lot of symbols or "clutter". To me it shows detail. Maybe it's the only way for me to show detail.

I like your idea to make it a more realistic pangaea style. The only problem with that is, I am still attached to zooming in and showing the detail of zones with high resolution. Also, this is the largest canvas size in CC3 I could make a map to render without crashing. If I can somehow overcome the clutter/detail part I might be able to do it without zooming in and seeing each place with a crisp resolution.

The Phantom Cauldron is an interesting area lore wise. I am glad that it's attractive to you. Do you currently play mmos? If so so which ones? Or which ones have you played?

Guild Adept

The only MMORPG I sort of play now is LoTRO since I bought in as lifetime when it was in Beta, LOL. I actually don't even have it loaded on a computer right now. DragonRealms was my addiction for a very long time, text based. I had the first barbarian to reach 100th level there, talk about insane. I am currently designing my own PnP RPG and campaign world while also writing fiction and trying to get my little winery off the ground... so! little time for that.

But anyhow, depending on the actual symbol count that can really bog down CC3. The clutter problem is really in the fact that they are symbols and not really to be interpreted as 1 for 1 details. Therefore, not necessary. I think one of the greatest examples of that are Fenlon's maps for MERP, which CC3 does have a symbol set out for. Fenlon was an early master of RPG maps, simple yet informative and very attractive. If you were doing a pseudo-satellite style then high detail is an expectation, but this style of map doesn't beg for it. If you've seen LoTRO's maps of Middle Earth (Particularly the world overview) you can also get a good example of detail without clutter. In the instance of your map I think a person can lose the content in the detail. Much like writing a novel, if you bury a really important piece of information in a giant paragraph of exposition and description of setting, a whole lot of people are going to be skimming and miss it, LOL.

Unless you are just utterly addicted to how your rivers flow, I don't see where this map couldn't be made more realistic with minimal changes. And content is good, but never underestimate the affect of seamless transitions from regions that don't mesh well with people's expectations of nature.

What platform are you looking at for a potential MMO?
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Veld, when you talk about cluster, do you mean the cluster for the use of a symbols? Or the cluster of how many different landscapes there are? Or both? Like the eathanu said I used the scrub symbol to much in the Mu'jinx Plains. I use that symbol for grasslands. I don't particularly like any of the grassland textures or just leaving it blank. So I use that scrub symbol for the desired texture.

If you guys mean that there are too many different types of landscapes that won't change, but if the cluster you're talking about is the over use of symbols in different areas, I think I can improve that. If that is the case can you give me some examples where you think symbols for a particular area or areas that look over crowded?

I actually think I have Peter Fenlon's annual. His style was okay. I get what you mean about the paragraph analogy. I can see how my map can be overwhelming to the eye because of the massive amount of different areas.

If I had an investor, I'd like establish the mmo for PC. Right now, the mmo design is just a hobby that I've been working on for a very long time heh ;p

Guild Adept

I thought about trying to take my game into HeroEngine, but aligning the adequate number of talented people just squished that thought, LOL.

Having a pile of different zones on a very large Pangea style continent doesn't bug me, despite the twitches caused by climate study, the clutter I refer to is the sheer number of symbols.

www.sistercontinents.com

Ha, it's kind of a double edged sword because in order to have a variety of different types of zones on a large continent like this requires the use for a lot of symbols. Are you referring to the forests? The mountain ranges? The scrub land symbols I've substituted for grassland textures? Can I get an example? Do you think that the zones are not scaled big enough? Or are they crammed?

Changes made to the intent of the thread...

Guild Apprentice

Man this map is so AMAZING, I wish I could do something like that. Me personally, I like some really messed up worlds, those worlds lets you be creative with stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast