Thread: First Map (Looking for realism and criticism)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I really like how you have drawn the plates, especially how they at certain places seems to overlap each others.
    I am not an expert at these things, but what I recommend is to read more about the subject. when I started out I read more about it on this website. http://www.platetectonics.com/book/index.asp
    I think it explains the basics in a quite simple and understandable way.
    I would like to test and draw the movements, but sadly I don't have the oppurtunity for the moment. But as I see it, the Green plate (with mountains) should move towards the light blue plate and form a Continental-Continental Convergent boundary. I believe other members at the guild could provide more accurate and better info than me :/ there are also plenty of other threads here on the forum that brings up the subject!

Thanks Uomaru for the link! Of the websites I've found so far on tectonic plates, the one you posted is probably the most detailed one.

I'm currently going over the multiple threads on the forum that go over this subject. I'm still trying to get my head around how to apply all the information I'm finding.

In relation to the overlaps, there actually accidental . For some reasons, I was having problems drawing out the tectonic boundaries at the time of the post. But hey! if it made it look more interesting, it can't be a bad thing.

For those who may be interested, here are the principle plates drawn in a fairly clear cut manner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	44081

After working on the map for a bit, here is what I've come up so far.

Name:	000_PlateMovements1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	572.5 KB 
ID:	44097

Name:	000PlateMovements3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	44098

Red lines are for relatively tall mountain ranges while orange lines represent shorter ones. Green arrows represent general direction of the plates while yellow arrows describe the interaction between the plates.

I've yet been able to find an area where there would be transform boundaries. There could perhaps be one between plate 4 and 1b, 2 and 5, 10 and 6, or 8 and 9; although I'm really not sure if it would make sense to have one at any of these areas.

I'm also unsure whether or not I should break down the larger plate (number 1) into 3 parts. Nor I'm I certain if the poles should be actual continents or frozen layers of ice. What would be the environmental consequences, if any, if both poles lay on their own plates or if neither actually had one (such as in the case of Earth's North Pole)? I'm also having trouble figuring out the direction plate 4 ought to have.

As always, I'll be most grateful if anyone can provide me help with this or comment on the current arrangement of mountains and plates.