Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Thanks for the reply... it will help whoever takes the commission(even if it's not me). I have a few more questions which would relate(and perhaps you can think of some to fill in the story also).

I asked about families, but unless I missed it I did not see your reply.
Length of stay? Of course, without families, well... only one generation will happen baring some type of extreme life span thingy or cloning.

I assume there will be a mix in economic status, but it would be nice to have a general ratio. Say for example, 20 or so "rich" groups of 2 adults and x-y children(are there any population controls in place??). Perhaps 50-100 or a bit more middle income and the rest living in general quarters? On a personal level(of which you are free to ignore), I would probably suggest something long the lines of 4 tiers:

• rich(people in charge.. perhaps 10-20 "groups" of 1-several people in a family unit)
  • high middle income(engineers, science types, mid management types) perhaps 50 families, so anywhere from 70-150 or so people to assume some single people or non child households...
  • low middle income(technical/tradesmen.. have some focused skills) everyone else
  • poor/laborer

Of course depending upon your tech level, perhaps the last category is done totally by robotics(janitorial stuff, low level security people, simple kitchen duties, etc)
History: Pretty much our world; but inflating conflicts and resource shortages as well as pollution. In 2077, 3rd WW destroys civilization as we know it. In 2177, nearly 100 years after the war, Overseer Whitman asks the best of the best of the best of the vault-dwellers to go out to seek a replacement for the waterchip that broke...
Unlike Fallout, computerization was not retarded. Eg, the players "Pipboy" is a Rolex Explorer XXX, a precise Survival watch, integrated bio monitor gives Physician a bonus to diagnose patient wearing watch; GPS receiver (defunct), Inertial & Magnetic Compass & Map which gives a bonus to navigation, Beacon (10 km range) and a tiny computer with todays desktop performance and 10tb storage, as well as 2D 1 inch touchscreen, can be linked to another device.
So the vault will probably also be a lot more modern than what you saw in the games. In some aspects, the techlevel is very advanced. There are plasma weapons, the vault is powered by a fusion reactor... that is like the games, it's just that IT is more advanced.
Also, it would be nice to have some kind of 50s astethic, cause that was way cool in Fallout!

Back to your questions, I overread the family thing, Since they had to keep the population floating at around a 1000 people, they had strict family laws. Probably also enforced by parents who want their children not to marry "down".

I honestly didn't flesh out the whole breeding concept. I guess the Overseer would take control and that they probably have breeding cycles every 20 years. Should the quota of newborns not be met, the Overseer would probably invoke forced pregnancies.

Your 4 tier aproach is perfect. The numbers match as well! Thanks for that! And yes, the techlevel is high enough to have most jobs done by robots, but these need maintenance and rich people need servants.

So everybody lives a pretty decent life, compared to the outside, and Virtual Reality relaxation makes it possible to flee the Vault, if only for an hour or two.

Cheers

Onkl