Thread: Black&white big city

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    That looks pretty good. What software are you using? And what process? It looks like the city "blocks" are layers with a drop shadow, but I can't be sure.
    I am using photoshop 5.1 and nothing else for the moment (though perhaps this style would better be done in Illustrator).
    It's very simple, the "common buildings" are all together in a layer with drop shadow (with some noise which is quite lost at this resolution but can still be seen in larger shadows), a 1px 75% opacity black inner outline, and covered by a pattern (one of those boundled with PS, incredible as it may seem to those who really know how to use the program, i have been unable to fetch myself one that looked better). Going from blocks to single buildings is mostly done by subtraction, erasing.
    The "notable building" are the same, only with a stronger outline, no pattern but a ligh grey colour and bigger shadows.
    Streets are simply white stripes with 1 px outline.
    Labels are made with Belwe Lt font, with a 4 px white outline for making them stand out from the underlying city parts.

So, not much to explain, very basic.
    One problem is that, though this particular city is completely flat, I would not know how to render elevations in this style, and also I am not sure of how to do cultivated land, of which there will be some outside the walls.
    Last edited by feanaaro; 04-24-2012 at 10:05 AM.