Thread: Thiodonn map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I really like the style and color of this. The orangish-grey-burnt thing you have going on really pops and looks maybe a little sinister even.

I have two pieces of feedback:

* I agree with Freodin that the pure white text looks out of place to me. Maybe distress it a bit, give it some texture, and/or or lower the opacity or something to make it match the vibe of the rest of the map? Or maybe just choose a different color.
    * The "ink" doesn't fade at all as it reaches the tattered edges of the parchment. I feel like it would probably fade from all the wear the edges have received.

Nice work!

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mozltovcoktail View Post
    I really like the style and color of this. The orangish-grey-burnt thing you have going on really pops and looks maybe a little sinister even.
    Well, as Thiodonn is, relatively speaking, the most "evil" of the kingdoms in Glasconai (though I don't like the moral absolutism that implies), sinister is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by mozltovcoktail View Post
    * I agree with Freodin that the pure white text looks out of place to me. Maybe distress it a bit, give it some texture, and/or or lower the opacity or something to make it match the vibe of the rest of the map? Or maybe just choose a different color.
    * The "ink" doesn't fade at all as it reaches the tattered edges of the parchment. I feel like it would probably fade from all the wear the edges have received.
    I might be able to fix some of those text issues just by reordering the layers, but I can darken them some way. I'll play with it. The fading on the edges is probably as simple as a fuzzy-brushed eraser on a low-mid opacity, so I'll experiment with that too.

Regarding the trees: the brush sets I have don't have anything else similar enough to those trees to change it up without being jarring, but I agree that I'd prefer some variety. If anyone can point me to some similar free tree brushes I'd be glad to look into it.