Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
I would say it was very frustrating not being able to create what I could draw with a pencil and it took me probably about a year in my off time working with Gimp until I got to a point where I was pretty satisfied with my results. I think that might have been sped up if I had a tablet instead of a mouse but seeing as I still don't have one of those I don't know. I still have moments where I'm irritated with not being able to get what I see in my mind's eye. Drawing with a mouse blows chunks!
Yeah I'm learning that right now. Still, while working with a mouse certainly is more time consuming than freehand, it has actually been somewhat easier than I expected (granted, I haven't sketched anything more demanding than mountains and forests with a mouse). For a long time I avoided the hand-drawn map style altogether since I don't have a tablet. Now I wish I had begun earlier. So to anyone out there who thinks that they can't do a hand-drawn style map without a tablet (or without scanning in one), I'd say at least give it a try; you might be surprised.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cheers,
-Arsheesh