Thread: Choosing the right software option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ok...downloaded GIMP...tried some VERY basic stuff using one of the tutorials...lots to learn....but...looks like it will be fun....though...I wonder If my project might be a little ambitious to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by dlaporte7271 View Post
    Ok...downloaded GIMP...tried some VERY basic stuff using one of the tutorials...lots to learn....but...looks like it will be fun....though...I wonder If my project might be a little ambitious to start with.
    A bit late to the party here...but if you have not gotten to it yet, the first thing you should MASTER(IMHO) is layer masks. This will greatly assist you in doing non destructive editing... For that matter, I would suggest before you start doing anything to an existing image(say a tillable fill pattern for example), your first question is "How can I do this in a non destructive way".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey jfrazierjr....since I'm such a rookie...I don't know what you mean by 'non destructive' editing. I'm guessing you mean that using layer masks is a 'constructive' way to add or even remove/cover elements of your project...as opposed to using an eraser or other means of deleting elements...but...

@Drelen...I can say that the tutorials have been helpful in getting my feet on the path. Good luck to you and welcome!

-dlaporte (aka Dave)